Chapter 12

Noblewoman Acquires the Prison Guard

Because her shoulders would become stiff if she just read all day, Rachel spends her time doing other things as well such as embroidery and the like.

Rachel had been sewing through a handkerchief for a while now, and after setting her needle down, she took a look at the embroidered image she had done.

Looking at the framed flowers she had created, she murmured to herself,

"Hmm......it's too quiet."

Her thoughts weren't about embroidery.

One month ago, in other words, from the time that Rachel became aware of the Prince's conspiracy to abandon the engagement.

But as she made her preparations, Rachel didn't move to block them........because it seemed interesting.

The Blockhead Prince and his lackey followers, she wanted to see how far they'd go.

If they were to throw her into prison, then she could continue to skip her Queen's education until the King returns and rejects the engagement abandonment.

The trouble she couldn't cause herself that was likely to now occur left her feeling thrilled.

Though she decided to ride along with the Prince's conspiracy on that line of thinking....... the Prince's base had turned out shallower than she had thought. Even though a week had already passed, he hadn't come up with any ideas other than striking at her through force.

"Like this, I feel embarrassed going to such great lengths........it's boring."

The Prince would use a variety of dirty tricks to harass her, and she would enthusiastically repel them as they came.

As she raised her cup to take a drink, Rachel realized that her tea had gone cold, but even cold the refreshing fragrance of the luxury tea leaves still lingered and tickled the nose.

Rachel blankly stared into the air for a while before laughing with a smile.

"That's right. This wait and see attitude is unlike me. Until now I thought I'd just wait for the Prince to make his move.......un, let's robustly move forward from now on."

Because a jailbreak would most likely occur in the middle of the night, prison patrols are being performed well into the night.

"Well, the palace's prison only has the Lady inside it right now..........I really don't think there's going to be a jailbreak......."

Although, work was work.

The prison guard's footsteps echoed as he descended the stone steps, and he saw the Duke's daughter sitting on the floor with the lights dimmed. It seems that she was still awake. Leaning against her cushion, she was looking up at the sky through the small window.

"What are you doing?"

Asking for purely skeptical doubts, a beautiful woman illuminated by the moon's light responded.

"My, Mr. prison guard. Good evening.......I can see the moon right now, so I thought I'd do a little moon-viewing."

As she spoke Rachel held up a glass cup pinched between her fingertips. The scent wafting out of the glass caused the prison guard to make a strange face.

"Oi oi, should a Duke's daughter be having whiskey.........."

Whiskey was a powerful type of alcohol. And it was clear through the shot glass that she was drinking it straight. A nobleman might drink something like that every once in a while, but it was basically a type of liquor for laborers and people irrelevant to society at large.