Chapter 65: The Cage and the Lost Key

"It was the same fire that burns you. It was the darker and more sinister one that destroys you."

It was already morning when Lady Adeline woke up. She seemed to not remember what happened during the past night; she was only surprised that I was sitting on a chair reading a book by the side of her bed. She smiled weakly at me and said, "I thought it was just a dream. But you're here; you're finally home."

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

She closed her eyes and sighed deeply. "I feel better. However, I'm afraid I won't be able to join you for breakfast. I prefer for my food to be served here."

I knew by then that she was lying. She was the beautiful sun of the East Land. She would wake up and shine all over the East Castle and make sure that the day would be a wonderful one for us. But she couldn't do it anymore; not when the fire was being sucked out from her. I clenched my fist on my side and faked a smile. "Then I will have my trusted servants bring our breakfast here. I would really love to have coffee with you."

Her eyes shone brightly despite of her fragile body. And that was how we spent the morning: talking and sharing laughter with each other hoping that moments like that could last forever. I let her rest when she got tired and went to my room to fix myself. I didn't tell her the truth nor about my plan. She didn't know that I summoned the council in the castle for a meeting. I didn't want to make her worry about my actions.

I was walking on the hallway towards the conference room when I saw Tarnus. He seemed to be waiting for me. But instead of greeting him, I walked past him deciding that dealing with our personal conflict could wait.

However, Tarnus seemed to not see it that way. He followed me and took only a few steps before grabbing my arm, pulling me towards him. Sighing impatiently, I decided to face him. Despite of the glare he was giving me, I could see the sadness in his eyes.

"I was informed of you sending a pregnant servant last night to the dungeon. I went down to free her but she's not there anymore. I couldn't find her."

I studied him skeptically and asked, "Why are you so concerned about this woman? Are you the father of her child?"

There was a look of surprise in his face which turned into annoyance. "What are you talking about? She's pregnant and it will not help her condition if she's going to stay in that filthy place. Just tell me where she is and let me handle her. If she did something you disapprove of then I'll punish her without harming the child."

"Wherever she is right now, she deserves it. Now, let me go because I still have a more important thing to deal with."

I tried to get pass him but he didn't let me. His warm hands found the side of my face and held me gently and yet firmly. He looked at my eyes and searched for something he thought was missing. "What have they done to you? How did you become like this?"