2: First Walk

On Sunday morning, I woke up in a cold dorm covered by a few blankets. Hopping out of bed, my attention went to the window which was completely fogged. Once the window was fogless, my eyes got to experience a white winter wonderland.

"You up already?" asked my roommate coming out of the bathroom finished with his shower.

"Yeah, how was that snowball fight last night?" My body fell back to the bed and into the blankets.

"It was good. A lot of fun. You should've joined us, man."

And with that, he rushed off to the heated library to go study. It seemed like most people were stampeding their way to the library. About another twenty minutes later, I was at my desk checking my current grades on the campus portal. Unlike my roommate, I could easily go most of the day without studying. After taking my shower, I walked outside wondering if anywhere else on campus was heated. How full was the student union? All I wanted was to take a heated nap. About thirty seconds later, my phone buzzed only to get a text from Sara.

"Meet me out by the north parking lot."

Without any hesitation, my feet wasted no time in getting to the parking lot. Sara just stood there in the parking lot with a smile on her face and little winter clothing.

"Jimmy, glad you could make it," she smiled putting her phone back in her pocket. 

"You really love the snow, don't you?"

She smiled and walked up to me. "Oh my goodness, I love the snow. Never would I expect snow in California." She paused and took a cold breath. I honestly love the cold."

I found myself chuckling. "You're crazy, I hate snow."

Sara patted my shoulder and laughed "So have you ever been to a church in college yet?"

Looking at the white frozen water on the ground, I shrugged. "Eh, I went to First North Baptist a couple of times at the beginning of the semester, but I've been a little lazy."

Her smile lit up. "I've actually been going there this past semester. I was headed for the third service and I could use a walking buddy in the cold."

My hand wasted no time in reaching for the keys in my pocket. "I'm down. My car is on the other side of the parking lot though."

Sara laughed at me and informed me that she wanted to walk there. My fear of walking in the snow was going to come true. It was going to be about half an hour to get over to the church. OK sure, I desperately didn't want to walk in the snow, but something inside of me couldn't pass up this opportunity to walk with Sara. It wasn't long until a large and white snowball hit me in the face. Sara quickly grew with excitement.

"Quick, build a snow wall. We're going to knock out some kids."

With Sara making snowballs, I wasted no time in building a wall. With the short amount of time, the wall wasn't too bad. We hid behind the wall making the rest of the snowballs. After a couple of minutes, we were ready. Wham! The first snowball was officially thrown. With crappy throwing skills, my snowball completely missed the kid I was aiming for. Sara, however, was an expert at throwing snowballs. It was like she was once on a baseball team. Boom! Bam! She knocked out every kid with a snowball only for them to run off. Impressed, I threw one of my last snowballs at her. And it actually hit her. She looked at me and laughed. No hesitation came from her throwing what was left of the snowballs at my body. Crap, they all hurt. With cold hands, I couldn't make any more snowballs but Sara found it in her to create several more. Not wanting to get hit by any more frozen balls, I zoomed off. Her feet were able to keep up. Who knew she could run so fast? Growing tired, my feet gave out only to find myself in front of a frozen pond. My throat grew hard and it became somewhat complicated to breathe with the cold weather. My eyes became stuck on the three rings that laid on my fingers.

"Jimmy!" shouted a little girl getting washed up in the cold river that had been covered by ice moments ago "Jimmy! Help!"

Being stuck in the river myself, I could barely make out any word but only a couple of tears. But I did everything I could to swim towards her. For a brief moment, I was able to grab her hand.

"Close your eyes," I commanded. "I'll get us out of here!"

"Jimmy, are you OK?" asked Sara bringing me back to reality with her palm on my arm.

Looking around me, my eyes found her face. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm fine."

"Come on we don't want to be late for church." Her face seemed concerned for me.

As we walked, it came to my attention that Sara didn't have much of a jacket. Made sense, considering she loved the cold. But I couldn't let her walk without a jacket and gave her mine. Within a short time, we had made it to church. And to our relief, it was nice and heated. I had never felt so glad to actually be at church. And I was just glad that I could hang out with Sara again for the second time. During the worship, I couldn't take her eyes at the beautiful smile on her face. It felt that she was genially happy to sing the songs presented that morning. And I'll never forget how she closed her eyes during the last song with one her arms up.

Hope you all enjoyed this cold chapter! Don't forget to comment, vote, and share.

Would you walk thirty minutes in the snow?

Early theories on the short flashback?

This chapter is dedicated to AmandeepKaur654 Thank you for your support!