38: Wedding

The day had arrived. My entire family was at my side that morning to help me get ready for everything that needed to be done. In such a short time, I was dressed up. After looking in the mirror, I couldn't believe how amazing my appearance was. It was like I was a completely different person. A person that I had never seen before. Maybe I really was a different person after this past year. The only thing left to do was visit Sara which was frowned upon considering it was bad luck to see the bride before the wedding. One had to wonder how she was feeling through all of this. At some point, did she visit the church during the night?

"You look beautiful Jimmy," complimented my grandma. "I knew that giving you that ring was a good idea. Can you imagine what would have happened if you used some piece of a crap ring on a crap budget?"

It was hard to imagine. But she was right. As a practically broke college student, I barely had any money.

In the blink of an eye, I found myself standing on the stage of the church. The audience had pretty much arrived. Looking around me, I noticed that Sara stuck to her promise of having only one bridesmaid. That bridesmaid was Karla. And believe it or not, Roger ended up agreeing to be my best man. Probably one of the biggest surprises of my life. Of course, this was officially the last time I was ever going to see him. He still wasn't planning on returning for the fall semester. Waiting for Sara to walk down the aisle seemed to take an eternity. Was she getting cold feet? Would there actually be a wedding? During this wait, I noticed Conner was sitting in the front as he mouthed something towards Karla. She returned the silent mouthing in response. They were having a conversation, but what was it about?

Having to wait for Sara was worth the long wait. Everybody rose as the bride came out with Dr. Parker by her side. The beauty that she possessed that afternoon had me questioning if I was in Heaven. She was unbelievable. My eyes had never seen her hair so well done. Getting lost in her sparkly eyes, they felt like magic. They were magic that was keeping me under her spell. If I wasn't careful, I could've easily gotten lost in her eyes. And even her lips were stunning. Odd considering I rarely ever noticed her lips. But I think the most stunning thing about her that afternoon was her dress. The dress she wore was simply hard to even put into words. I knew she had a well-toned body, but it had become all the more apparent with that dress. Her breast were in perfect form making me excited for the night that we would soon share. And her wedding dressed clashed well with her skin which was a little more tanned than usual. Was it a spray tan or just the natural vibe of the summer?

The light began to dim down and immediately there was a spotlight on her. It was as if she were performing at a concert. Lights like stars began lighting up all over the walls. And behind me, Karla's red dress began glowing along with her hair. Karla stood at the very edge of the stage with a microphone in her hand. Was she about to sing? I was not aware of any of these plans.

"Wise men say, "Only fools rush in. "But I can't help falling in love with you"

Dr. Parker slowly began walking down Sara down the aisle. He looked like he was seconds away from balling out his eyes. The light continued to stay on my beautiful bride. This was all too real. Was this really happening? It was certainly happening. From this point on, turning back was no option.

"Shall I stay? Would it be a sin, If I can't help falling in love with you?"

Karla was putting a lot of passion into her song. It felt like a mix of joy and sadness coming from her. Was she going to cry? It didn't matter at this point. Compared to everything happening in that moment, this moment couldn't be beaten by her smile. The closer she got to me, the more I saw the beauty of that smile. And with that growing smile, I knew she was excited. This was the moment she had been waiting for. Something inside of me knew that this song and this moment had been her plan without my knowledge. It was her special message to me and only me.

"Like a river flows. Surely to the sea. Darling, so it goes. Some things are meant to be. Take my hand, Take my whole life, too. But I can't help falling in love with you."

As the song continued, Sara eventually made it to the stage and Karla finished singing with all the passion that she had. During her last few lines of the song, she got off the stage and gave Conner a large rose which clearly caught in him off guard. It was like I was living in an episode of 'The Bachelor.' Once Sara was by my side, Dr. Parker let her go and found his seat. All the lights came on.

"Good afternoon," began the pastor with a smile on his face. "We are gathered here in holy union with Jimmy Rider and Sara Parker. Before we begin, I'd just like to compliment Karla on that song. Very well done."

It became harder to pay attention to what was being said by the pastor. How could I listen, when the most amazing bride in the world was standing by my side? She also felt the same way with her eyes looking at my own eyes. It became clear that all she wanted to do was laugh, but had to hold it in, Yes, we certainly were both lost in each other's eyes. Thankfully, for a brief moment, we took a break to hear what the pastor said next.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." The pastor took a pause after quoting that piece of scripture. "You know, I have seen nothing but this true kind of love from Jimmy and Sara. After counseling with them this past month, I've seen a lot of grace from these two. From Jimmy especially. I am truly impressed with the journey that he has taken and all that he has learned this past year with the past that he has faced. These two are a godsend for each other. The Lord is truly good."

In a short amount of time, it was time to present our vows. These vows took me an entire week to write. Part of the problem of sleeping last night were those vows. And here I was at my own wedding being the first one to share my vows. Pulling out some notecards, I began sharing them as my hands began to shake. My guidance counselor was right. Next semester, I would definitely be taking a speech class. 

Glad you could make it to the Jimmy and Sara's wedding! Remember to comment, vote, and share!

What do you think of the wedding so far?

Are you surprised that Roger showed up?