42: Great Rescue

If I would have known what was about to go down that morning, I would have never worn a robe. I had the perfect outfit for the afternoon. Part of me wished I was in those clothes after five minutes of being on the boat. 

"So what exactly is the plan?" asked the driver of the boat who had his walkie directed to his ears listening for all the latest dam and water news. 

"We somehow need to get to Arrow River before the ferry gets there. Is there any way can do that?

The GPS on my phone had no signal and therefore would have no use. We would have to figure this out the old fashion way with a map. Thank God he had one in his glove compartment. Looking at it, he pointed to what was known as the 'Green Trail,' which was apparently a hard walk up the mountain that started on flat land near the beach. It involved a lot of rock climbing. According to him, the trail would get us close to the Arrow River, but it wasn't clear just how close. With fireworks also in the glove compartment, we could use them to extended the stream that laid at the beginning of the trail to extend it into a river.

"It's a crazy plan, but that could work." I hated this plan, but it was either that or nothing. And I couldn't sit back and do nothing. "By the way, what's your name?" 

"James," he quietly answered seeming a bit sad. "James McKing."

Sara sat the on floor of the ferry leaning against the wall of the boat. Her eyes were closed trying to catch every breath that she could. With every breath in her lungs being slow, it was hard to tell if she would make it. She sat there praying in her head hoping that she could make it out of this situation.

"Mam, are you thirsty?" asked the captain holding a camera. "I have some water bottles if you're interested."

"Why do you have a camera?" she could barely get the words out of her mouth. "And do you have any Vitamin Water? I would really love some."

"The company requires cameras to be on all our ferries for business and insurance purposes. I'm trying to make there's enough good evidence regarding the impact of the flood." He took a pause and brought out a couple water bottles. "I'm sorry, all we have is regular water. Is that fine?" She was thirsty and beggars couldn't be choosers at that point. She accepted what was offered to her. The captain went back to the wheel hoping for good news or any news at all.

Once we reached the trail, I saw that James was right. There was a stream and it was pretty large for a stream. Looking at him, he had the fireworks in his grip and stepped out the boat. He was planning on putting the fireworks at the end of the stream. I was instructed to rev up the engine once they went off. The force of the engine would hopefully allow water to create a river among the trail. There was no science to claim that this would work. We were just going on the resources that we had. The plan was carried out, and surely enough the fireworks went off. Boom! One by one. My foot pounded on the gas peddle giving it all the speed that this boat could handle. By a miracle, we were creating a river for the boat to go over. There was enough to time for James to hop back into the boat.

"Are you alright?" asked the captain who sat next to Sara. "What's your name?"

"Sara," she began crying. "Sara Rider. Her hands began shaking. Reaching into her pockets, her fingers caught notice of the pills. There weren't much left.

"What led you out to Little Beach?" His water bottle was officially empty.

"I came out here on my honeymoon. Got married yesterday." The captain's face developed a surprised look. What luck for an event like this to happen the day after a wedding? "You know, I had all these plans for my wedding and how I wanted my honeymoon to go. But I wasn't planning on dying during my honeymoon." Her pills were out of her pocket and in sight.