5: Just Dance

Once we entered the dancefloor, the two of us were fortunate enough to have a slow song to dance to. Our roommates were stuck in each other's eye as they slowly moved. They really were amazing dancers.

"Alright, what are we supposed to do?" I asked keeping an eye out on our roommates trying to get an idea of how to dance hoping to somehow impress her. Was she as bad as she said she was? Was it too late to go sit down again? There were so many questions running through my mind.

"Let me have your right hand," instructed Sara.

Giving her my right hand, she took it and smiled. She tapped her right foot and let go of my hand. Once she did that, she slowly moved back a couple of inches and turned to the other side. It became obvious that she had no idea what she was doing. Or maybe it was me who wasn't sure what I was doing. The only thing that could be done was just to go with it. And with that, I slowly walked up to her and put both my hands on her waist as she continued to have her back towards me. Somehow, my feet managed to step on her feet a couple of times. A moment later she turned around and grabbed my left hand leaving me to spin her a dozen times until she got dizzy. The slow song finally came to an end and we transitioned into a fast song.

"Can you see why I was voted worst dancer?" she asked laughing. "You up for dancing to this song?"

"Sure, we'll just have fun with it and look like idiots." I couldn't help but grin.

With a face that looked pleased, she began shaking her hips. "I can do that." This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I began shaking my hips and began snapping my fingers to the beat of the song. I did OK with keeping up with the beat. She did the same but wasn't even trying to keep up with the beat. A moment later, we began moving our heads around. With the song getting faster, we found ourselves jumping a few times and acting like chickens. Never did I sweat so much in my life, but somehow I felt free. I could tell that Sara felt free.

For the next few songs, we continued to dance like idiots and make things up as we went along. I couldn't believe I was doing this in front of her. Earlier last semester, I thought I was alone in my dorm and scratched my stomach as I lifted my shirt. It turned out I was wrong and my roommate was coming out of the bathroom. After he saw that, I spent the rest of the day at the library hoping to avoid him. Maybe not the same thing as this. With every passing song, I tried everything I could do to outdo Sara in silly dancing. That went without saying that the time just flew by. It was already eleven at night which meant it was closing time.

"Looked like you guys were having some fun," joked Roger as all four of us met outside. I had never seen his so sweaty before. You could almost smell his odor.

"Sara was voted worst dancer in high school," I responded. She laughed and lightly slapped my shoulder.

"At least I was voted for something," she grinned.

"Oh, that's a burn," chuckled Karla. "Better watch out Jimmy."

We all found ourselves laughing, joking, and enjoy ourselves. Who knew my roommate was this much fun to be around? A shame I hadn't figured this out last semester. After about an hour, Karla began yawning.

"What time is it?" asked Karla as she started pulling her phone out of her pocket.

"We have a minute until midnight," responded Sara looking at one of her watches.

Karla and Roger were both ready to leave and clock out for the night. If there was a yawning contest, Roger would've been the winner. He looked like he was seconds from passing out on the passenger seat. With both of them in the car, I opened Sara's door. She thanked me and seemed hesitant about getting in the car with her head glancing at her surroundings. Seeing that led me to shut her door as I remembered our walk that we had to church.

"Why don't we both walk back to the campus? I could use another walk."

Her tongue found itself licking her lips with her face lighting up with glee. I felt proud of myself.

"Yeah, I would love that. Let's walk."

She opened Roger's door and announced that the two of us would be walking back. Karla got out and hugged her and quietly wished her luck hoping that I wouldn't hear. Winking at me, she got back in the car and they zoomed off only to leave us on our own.

"You ready for a three-hour walk?" I asked with my eyes glued at the GPS on my phone.

"Three hours? Let me see your phone." She took my phone and looked at the phone. "No, we can't go that way. It's dangerous." With her fingers, she showed me an alternative route. "We need to go this way. It's safer, but it'll take four hours. Looks like we'll be getting back to campus around four in the morning." She handed my phone back to me.

"Oh darn," I jokingly said. "Hope we can make it."

"We better get going before the sun comes out and the police start looking for us."

The two of us starting chuckling and began walking. I had never been more excited in my life to go on a walk. Although, in the back of my mind I was a little worried that neither of us would make it on this four-hour walk. Would we end up tired and drained? Guess we would have to figure that one out. 

"We might need to get some water if we're going to make it," I stated.

She nodded and we agreed that we would stop at a Circle K nearby.

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed! Remember to comment, vote, and share!

Are you good at dancing?

Thoughts at Jimmy and Sara going on a late-night walk?