13: The Fault in our Jimmy

That Sunday night, I sat at the desk in my dorm as I began to read 'A Walk to Remember.' After only reading the first page, Roger arrived removing stuff out of his packets and onto his desk.

"Hey buddy," he greeted. "How was that walk? Anything interesting happen?" He found himself on his bed taking off his pants and throwing them into his laundry basket.

It became apparent that I wouldn't be doing any reading that night and I put the book down. Maybe I would be able to find time tomorrow to start reading it.

"Nope, we just walked back to campus and talked about different things. Nothing special."

"Well, that's too bad." He hopped off his bed and took off his shirt and put on a regular white shirt. He was clearly ready for bed. Once he had his white shirt on, he pulled up a chair to sit next to me looking at me straight in the eyes. "You know she likes you right?"

My face turned a little red hoping we weren't going to have the conversation we were about to have.

"Um, maybe."

He chuckled putting his palm on my back. "Believe me, buddy, she likes you and you obviously like her. Don't wait and just make a move. You have to be a man and take action. Remember, she's your girl and she's waiting." A long pause came between us. I had no energy to respond to what he just said. "You know, if I know Karla well enough, I can guarantee she's going to stay up most of the night with Sara talking about this. But anyway, I'm tired. So goodnight."

He wasted no time hopping into bed forgetting to brush his teeth. Within a few seconds, he was sound asleep. It soon dawned on me that I was also tired and needed sleep. Unlike Roger, I actually brushed my teeth. Once my teeth were brushed, I turned off the light and hopped onto my bed.

There I stood in a dark room next to a chair. Walking around the room, my feet stepped on a few puddles. The ground began to quake for a few seconds. Once it stopped, a lightbulb turned on. The little girl stood next to the chair.

"You don't deserve her Jimmy," she claimed walking closer to me. "You don't deserve anyone."

I made the attempt to stand back a few feet without a response. She just continued to look at me until she wanted me to sit on the chair. And I did so.

"If she found out what happened, she wouldn't want anything to do with you." Water immediately surrounded the chair and we were outside. "A self-centered idiot like you doesn't deserve someone like her."

The alarm on my phone went off and I had never been more thankful. These dreams were getting were worse and more bizarre. My day went by normally and before I knew it, the evening had arrived. I found myself eating a salad for dinner outside on a bench next to my hall. Right as I finished my salad, Sara showed up and sat with me.

"How was your day?" she asked giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"It was fine. Nothing too eventful."

After I finished my salad, we headed to my dorm. And surely enough, Roger and Karla weren't there. We found a spot on the couch to sit on and began reading 'The Fault in our Stars.' Sara wanted me to read the first page. She would read the second page. And without hesitation, I began reading.

"Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed," I began, but couldn't move on to the next sentence as I broke out into laughter. "She couldn't have decided on her own that she was depressed?"

Sara gave me a light slap on the shoulder and laughed with me. "You're so bad Jimmy."

For the next hour, we continued reading the book, but we were only able to complete the first chapter as the two of us couldn't stop making stupid jokes about the book. It was like Sara was trying to be funnier than me in some kind of competition. But I'll admit, I actually was enjoying the story so far and wanted to read more. With all the jokes and silliness going on between us, we found ourselves roughhousing. Boom! We fell off the couch and landed on the floor. Sara found herself on top of me as she pinned me to the ground. The two of us tried to catch our breath. Once we caught our breath, a silence grew between us. Sara slowly began moving her head towards me with a bright but chill smile.

"Hey, guys!" interrupted Roger as he walked in with Karla. "Did we walk in on a bad time?"

Sara immediately got off on me and sat on the couch picking up the book. "No, we were just reading 'The Fault in our Stars.' We finished the first chapter." A second later I made my way to the couch.

"Well, it looks like you both enjoy it," Karla claimed. "Sorry to disturb you guys. Anyways, just dropping off Roger." Karla gave me a look while nobody was looking.

"I'll come with you," claimed Sara. "I need to talk to you about a few things."

Roger kissed Karla goodnight and headed to the bathroom to get ready for bed. The kissing lasted a good minute. During that time, Sara snuck in a pill. Did she seriously not know that I kept catching her take pills? Sara hugged me goodbye and left with Kara. Tomorrow would be another adventure. Once Roger was out of the bathroom he found himself asleep right away. Not getting ready for bed, I decided to stay up most of the night and watch Netflix on the couch. My brain was telling me not to go to sleep and I unfortunately listened. How could I not listen?

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to comment, vote, and share!

Is Roger wise in what he's telling Jimmy?

Will Jimmy and Sara finish reading 'The Fault in our Stars' or will it be a struggle?

This chapter is dedicated to caatherinehe. Thank you for all your support!