7: Sweet Return

Four hours had passed in the blink of an eye and we were only a few feet away from campus. We could both see the smoke from our heavy breathing.

"I'm going to have to put you in rehab Jimmy," joked Sara. "This smoking habit is getting out of control."

"No, I think you're going to need rehab more than I do."

We both laughed and found our way in the parking lot and unto campus where we saw a bench. The two of us needed a moment to sit and rest. By the looks of it, Sara was moments from falling asleep. I kind of hope she did. Part of me wanted her to fall asleep on my lap.

"You ready for classes on Tuesday?" She asked. It was clear that she was trying not to fall asleep.

"Yeah, I think so. Can you imagine if our classes actually started tomorrow? We'd be zombies and would never make it past our first day."

She chuckled as her hand crept to the middle of the bench close to my leg. Neither of us was saying anything. Her hand was now on my leg. My heart began pounding faster and faster with my coldness being none nonexistent. What was she doing? How should I be responding?

"We probably should get back to our dorms and get some sleep," I commented.

She agreed only looking disappointed and we both headed back to our dorm. My roommate was already deeply asleep. And without turning on the lights, I hopped into bed and fell asleep right away.

On a cold winter day, I stood in an empty field trying to figure out where I was. The sun was setting and it would soon be night. Snow began falling out of the sky. Trying to walk and find my way out of the field, I stood in a small puddle.

"What the heck?"

I kept walking and within another moment, I stood in a larger puddle. My foot was stuck and couldn't find it's way out of it. The snow began falling down quicker and quicker. The cold snow turned the puddle into ice. The ice grew bigger. And by a miracle, I was able to get my foot out of the ice and began walking on it. A sigh of relief came when I found out that I would be OK. And without much thought, I walked on the iced water trying to find my way out of the field. After several steps, I came across a little girl. She just stood there without emotion.

"Hello, Jimmy." She began walking closer. "How's the water?"

"Hey." Crap, she was getting closer and it became harder to move. "Do you know the way out of this field?"

The little girl began howling in evil glee. "There is no way out of this field. You're stuck here. And you're going to die here. You're going to die a slow and painful death."

Breathing became harder. The air grew rough. "Who are you? Why do you want to kill me?" 

"Because you let me die!" she screamed. "You left me in the river to drown and didn't save me. You should've been the one to die. It's your turn, Jimmy!"

The ice began cracking. Within a matter of moments, it was almost impossible to find solid ground. Before I knew it, my body was in the cold water. Breathing was next to impossible. Tears were coming out of my eyes. This couldn't be happening.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry I let you die! Don't let me die! I'm sorry."

The little girl had her own patch of ice that she could stand on. And there she was standing next to me in anger. "I don't care. You let me drown in that cold water. You let a poor innocent little girl drown in that water!"

And with that, she used her foot to push me completely into the ice water. All breathing was lost. The voice in my mouth couldn't be heard. This was it. I was going to die.

"No!" I shouted waking up. And quickly, I realized that I was awake. For the next minute, I tried to calm myself down as I dealt with a heavy heartbeat and heavy breathing. My body was drenched in sweat. Once I was able to calm down, my eyes began glaring at the window. It looked like the day was nearly over. Looking at my phone, it was almost five in the afternoon. Twelve hours of sleep?

"Get a good night's rest?" asked my roommate walking in and sitting at his desk.

"Not really. How was your day?"

"It was good. Spent the day with Karla." His eyes were glued to his phone in a large grin. "By the way, all four of us are supposed to meet for dinner in the union in an hour."

Nodding, I got out of bed and searched for clothes in my drawer. My roommate stood up and found himself standing right next to me. His phone was at his desk being ignored.

"Bro, were you having one of those nightmares again?" I nodded yes and he sighed. "Are you ever going to find help? These nightmares and visions are going to be the death of you. No joke." He shut both drawers that were opened.

"If I die, I die," I shrugged not wanting to have this conversation. And I went back to searching for my clothes. Once I found what I would wear, I headed straight for the bathroom to take a shower.

"But if you die, what happens with Sara?" He winked only for me to give him a look. "Don't deny it. You know what I'm talking about."

Ignoring him, I entered the bathroom, shut the door, and got into the shower.

Hope you enjoyed this intense chapter! Hopefully, things don't get worse for Jimmy. Don't forget to comment, vote, and share!

Was it smart for Jimmy to cut his time with Sara short on that bench?

Should Jimmy get help?

Who was that girl in the dream?