18: Zoo

The rest of January went by normally. It was nothing but classes and homework. During the rest of January, I had a doctor's appointment. We talked about anxiety and he prescribed anxiety pills. For the moment they seemed to work, but I knew they wouldn't last forever. At least I was able to focus on my classes and not deal with Emily wanting to kill me. For the first couple of days after returning from the hospital, Sara wanted me to talk to her about what I was going through, but I couldn't. I wasn't ready. This led to some arguments.

"You wouldn't get it Sara," was one of the things I claimed. A few other things I stated included "Stay out of it" and "Leave me alone."

I could sense brokenness in her soul. We also had an argument about Conner and how she needed to stay away from him. Needless to say, I was screwing myself over. With all the arguing, we slowly distanced ourselves each passing day. And texting drastically died down. This was definitely not what I wanted to happen. If this continued, I would lose Sara forever. Maybe my grandpa was right. The first Friday in February, all four of us got together for dinner in the union. I had to do something even though I wasn't ready to tell her.

After a great dinner together, I made an effort to walk with Sara back to her dorm in the somewhat cold moonlight.

"Are you doing anything tomorrow?" I asked about to drop her off.

"No, what did you have in mind." She seemed eager, but a little hesitant to whatever I was about to say.

I couldn't believe I was about to say this. "I was thinking we could go to the zoo tomorrow morning. If we stay long enough, we can watch the fireworks at night. Make it a date?"

Her feet stopped us from walking and we both faced each other. She had a vibrant smile. "Well than Jimmy, it's a date. No guy has ever taken me on a date to the zoo." She kissed my cheek and she went to her dorm.

Not being able to sleep that night knowing that this was a date, Late Saturday morning arrived and we were ready to go. And believe it or not, we actually drove to the zoo in my car. And with this being a date, I opened the door for her. Chivalry wasn't dead.

"Well thanks, Jimmy," smiled Sara as she got into the car. "Where have all the good men gone?"

I couldn't believe how beautiful she was in literally the most perfect dress I had ever seen. She even went all out in her appearance. Once we were buckled, we were off. My heart was beating faster each passing minute. We were going to be in the car together for an hour before we got to the zoo.

"How much gas do you have?" she asked. "Since you're paying for this date, I'll pay for the gas as long as we go to a Circle K. No way we're going to Chevron or Shell." She was serious

Sara talked her heart out during the car ride with me literally saying nothing. She spent a lot of time talking about a trip to the zoo she took as a little girl. I could feel the little girl in her once we arrived. And without realizing it, our hands were together as we entered the zoo. It didn't last long though. The first thing we came across was the bears which were napping. Jokes were to be made about the napping bears. During our walk to look at the lions, we noticed a tortoise humping another tortoise in plain sight making what sounded like robotic moaning.

"Oh my gosh," cried out Sara. "I have to get this on Snapchat." She pulled out her phone and began recording unable to stop her laughing. "This is seriously going to be the best story I ever posted."

"Oh, someone's a dirty girl," I joked pulling out my phone to get this moment on Snapchat.

Once she finished her filming, she waved her hand in front of my camera to try and mess it up. Eh, it was good enough for my Snapchat Story.

After seeing the lions which were also napping, we got to see the monkeys. About fifty other people were gathered up looking at the monkeys. Most of the monkeys were young and playful having a good time.

"Look at that sad little monkey," commented Sara.

Was the monkey actually sad? It was sitting on a tree looking at the floor with a banana In his hands that looked like it would never be eaten. Maybe it really was sad. It was enough for Sara to frown and take one of the riskiest gambles I had seen. My own eyes witnessed her arm in the cage. I just watched in amazement. The monkey noticed the hand in the cage that was reaching out. At first, he was hesitant and sat there not knowing what to do. The banana quickly fell to the ground and the monkey stood up and smiled at Sara. He looked into her innocent eyes. For a long moment, they just stared at each other. It was like the monkey knew who she was and could somehow trust her. Could it trust her? Could she trust the monkey?

Their palms met and touched. Sara found herself smiling and letting out a couple of tears. Some small noises came out of the monkey which I could only assume sounded like happiness. The eye of the monkey soon noticed one of Sara's watches and placed a hand on it. That went without saying that there was a lot of confusion during this moment. Regardless of this moment being confusing, I saw something in Sara. I saw something that I had never seen before. There was something special about her. At that moment, I was glad that I was with her. I was glad that I knew her. Something in me knew that I could trust her.

This strange and beautiful moment soon came to an end and the monkey found itself playing with the other monkeys. This truly was a special moment that I was able to witness. Call me selfish, but I'm glad we didn't bring anybody with us.

They finally had a zoo date! Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to comment, vote, and share!

Thoughts on their zoo date?

Fact: I actually saw a tortoise humping another tortoise at the zoo once.

Thoughts on Sara and the monkey?