32: Family Reunion

Things slowly began to get better after that Saturday in the cemetery. Sara admitted that she considered breaking up with me, but her father was incredibly wise in helping her work through her emotions. And because of this, she felt more inspired than ever to continue with her novel.

With Sara wanting to have a talk, we took a walk around the cemetery.

"Karla told me everything that happened that night," she began. "She admitted that she was not right in her head and was hoping that you guys would go all the way."

An awkward silence came between us. My little moment with Karla was up in the air. My own girlfriend knew what had happened.

"Jimmy, do you like Karla?" She put a pause on our walk and gave me a stern look. "I mean I've been questioning this past week if we're right for each other. I want to believe we are. And I've seen the way you guys are around each other. I just don't know."

"No, I don't have feelings for Karla." Part of me wondered if there were actually hidden feelings for the girl. What if there was? What if Sara wasn't the one? Taking a peek at my rings and glancing at Sara's watches, I was reminded that she was in fact the one. "Karla and I are just friends. Friends that made a mistake I suppose."

We both stopped with Sara looking directly into my eyes directly with a serious look.

"Do you honestly believe that? I mean, I want to be sure. I don't want to continue this relationship with these problems. I love you so much Jimmy and we've been through a lot together. And I sometimes question if I overstepped my bounds in trying to help you."

Without another word, the space between us was filled and she received a kiss in reassurance.

"I love you, Sara," I responded with a smile once my lips were finished. "And I can't thank you enough for all that you've done. I honestly don't know where I'd be without you."

She responded back with a reassuring smile on her face.

...

"When you love someone, you often have to stand with them no matter the circumstances and no matter what anybody else around you thinks or acts."

Believe it or not, that was a quote in her novel. Who was this girl? With things getting better between us, things were still sour between me and Roger. The RA had even told me that Roger was considering moving out of the dorm. Maybe it would be for the best. Whatever. Thankfully, Sara and Karla had grown closer. And maybe I had also grown a little closer with Karla as well.

"Come on Jimmy, try this Lucas," instructed Karla. "It's good Mexican Candy. My uncle just bought an entire box for me and I want to share it with the two of you."

Yeah, it was a little strange trying a candy with a picture of a duck with sunglasses on it. But I tried the candy and it wasn't bad. Without Roger around, I learned a lot about Karla's uncle. Apparently, her uncle still lives in Mexico and often comes to the U.S. to sell candy. He's also working on getting his citizenship. It was literally all she talked about. Did Roger know this much about her uncle?

...

The three of us celebrated together at the Mexican restaurant where we were supposed to have our double date. Karla's uncle happened to be there and provided the Tres Leche Cake. I don't know why she wanted me to meet him that bad. Shortly after my birthday, the weekend of my family reunion arrived. Sara had never been this excited to meet my family. On the other hand, I was dreading it.

...

"It was amazing having Sara there talking to my sister," I announced to Dr. Parker.

I know. She informed about the details," he smiled. I'm filled with joy that she did that. And how are you feeling after visiting your sister? I trust it went well?"

"Something in me feels like maybe her death really isn't my fault. Accidents happen sometimes. My sister Emily was the least selfish person I knew and I think she's probably looking down on me happy that I'm dating an amazing girl. Sara couldn't have said it better herself when she talked to my sister. If I died, I wouldn't have been able to date her. I think Sara is glad I'm alive."

Dr. Parker was filled with so much glee. "Fantastic. I do hope you enjoy your time with Sara at the family reunion. Sara has been calling me every day to tell me how ecstatic she is to meet your family."

I wanted to rip my heart out the moment we reached my house. The front yard was filled with so much of my family. Sara was about to meet these people. They were about to meet her. I could only pray that this wouldn't be a disaster. Stepping out the car with shaky legs and a sweaty head, the first person my eyes noticed was my grandma. And all I could think of at that moment was my dead grandpa.

"Hello dear," happily chanted my grandma. "It's good to see you." She tightly hugged me not letting me go. "How've you been since Christmas?" She let go from her hug and quickly glared at the rings on my finger. Was she going to attempt and take her husband's ring?

"Oh, I've been doing good," a smile that couldn't be controlled left my face. Crap, go away smile. "You'll be getting grandchildren soon." Sara's faced turned red of embarrassment. "Grandma, meet Sara. Sara meet my grandma."

They both shook hands and hugged. It was a wonderful moment.

"My goodness Jimmy, you really found yourself a beautiful girl." Her eyes laid on Sara. "How did Jimmy find a girl like you?"

"Oh, I think I found him first," she blushed scratching her nose.

Grandma began laughing. "I love this girl." She turned to me and pinched my cheek. "You'd be a fool to ever lose her. You hear me." She turned back to Sara. "Have you met Jimmy's parents?"

Stepping into the house, my parents stood in the kitchen talking and laughing with one of my uncles until my mom noticed me. My parents and my uncle all gave me a hug and were introduced to Sara.

"Here I was thinking that Jimmy would never find someone," joked my dad. "Welcome to the family."

"Are you hungry? Asked my mom. We're cooking hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill. We also have drinks in the cooler."

My uncle walked Sara outside to get her food. I followed the two of them out. "Did you know that Jimmy once had a club in his treehouse," began my uncle. "The No Girls Allowed Club." He began laughing and began fixing her plate. "Emily wasn't allowed because she had cuties. And my wife and his grandma were also banned." He turned towards me. "How about now Jimmy? Is Sara allowed in your club?" 

All attention was on me with Sara awaiting an answer. "Of course she's allowed. It's an all-exclusive club now. And Sara is the president."

Grabbing my hand, she awed and kissed me with my uncle laughing at me. "Jimmy has cooties now. Get the cootie medicine."

My other uncle soon came by and began making fun of me claiming I had cooties now. My grandma soon came to the rescue.

"Leave the poor boy alone. If Jimmy has cooties, the two of you are filled with the cootie virus. I should be starting my club to ban boys who are filled with cuties."

Wow, my grandma had never been this awesome before. Had she always been like this? Had my mind been remembering her the wrong way?

Such a nice chapter! Thanks for reading. Remember to comment, vote, and share!

Are Sara's concerns legit?

How do you feel about Jimmy's family?