Chapter Fifteen

A few hours later Kat, Karen and Nadine found themselves in a Kitchen cooking dinner for Karens two Nieces. Amber was 8 years old with shoulder length light brown hair and blue eyes, into anything girlie, Disney films, dressing up or styling her hair.
Lily was 5 years old with lighter hair than her sister, she also had blue eyes, but other than that they were completely different. Lily was always out in the garden exploring, riding her bike, skateboarding, she wasn't concerned with falling over or brushing cobwebs aside as she created small spy dens anywhere she could.
At this present time they were sitting at a small round wooden table arguing over what film to watch that night. Amber wanted to watch The secret garden whereas Lily wanted to watch Johnny English. Nadine setting the cutlery onto the table, was desperately trying to put on a brave face, but the look in her eyes gave her away. Karen was pouring out glasses of Orange juice, while Kat was dishing up two plates with fish fingers and rice. She was continually using her shaking hands to rub her eyes as well as having difficulty to stay awake. Karen seeing the state she was in decided it would be best if she took the food over to the table. As she put the meals down Lily spoke up.

"Aunty Karen, after we've eaten, can we watch Madagascar in our room?"

"So that was the compromise that stopped the argument was it? Is that really what you both want to watch?"

Karen knew she had to ask otherwise it would only cause another argument because one of them hadn't agreed. Both the girls nodded then Amber muttered,
"I'll just watch The secret garden by myself, another day." She leant towards her sister,
"Alone. Without you."

Karen nudged her, "Hey, I noticed the sarcastic tone there."

Amber leant back in her seat then Lily who had a mouthful of rice spoke up again, "So anyway, can we?"

"Yeah, as long as you eat all your food. I don't see that being a problem," Karen said agreeably.

She glanced over at Kat who was leaning against the chest freezer, using it to support herself with her eyes tightly closed, then at Nadine who was fiddling with a strand of her hair and had her eyes lowered.

"Kat, Nadine, can I see you in the lounge, now?" she ordered sternly.

They both turned their heads towards her then followed her out of the Kitchen, when they got into the lounge Karen shut the door then faced them both.

"Okay. Nadine I'm not angry at you, with what has happened I understand your attitude right now."
She grabbed both Kats arms then shaking her spoke harshly, "But Kat what the fuck did you take? You're like a zombie."

Kat frowning, tightly closed her eyes, and shook her head before opening them again, she squinted trying to focus on Karen.
"I'm fine."

Nadine put her hand on Karens arm, "You're not gonna get any sense out of her,' she tried to reason with her friend.

Karen gripped Kat so tightly that Kat winced, Nadine glanced down seeing Karens hands digging into Kats arms so hard that her knuckles were white, and her nails were leaving indents on Kats skin.
"You've gotta stop this, look at yourself."

Kat grinned, "I can stop whenever I want to, I'm in control of this."

Karen gave an angry cry then released her friend. Kat staggered backwards onto the couch.
"I just need a quick nap, that's all."

As Nadine and Karen watched incredulously, Kat plumped up the pillow, laid her head down on it, drew her legs up and ignoring the fact that she was shaking slightly, she closed her eyes then quickly dozed off. Karen and Nadine shared a brief look, then sighing they sat down in opposite armchairs. Karen picked up a remote, flicked on the television then started channel surfing, searching for something to watch. Eventually she comes across a humorous gameshow that they enjoy watching. As they were really getting into it, Lily and Amber came bounding into the room.
"Okay we finished our tea, can we watch tele now?"