Chapter Thirty

Nadine slowly opens her eyes, shes lying on the floor with a crowd of people around her, feeling a bit groggy she blinks her eyes a few times. Another pair of trainers appear before her eyes. From her reclining position she could only see baggy jeans hanging over the tops of them, until a hand appears before her, a helpful gesture to pull her to her feet. She extends her hand gratefully and with the help she stands up without difficulty. As she gets to her feet she looks at the person who had assisted her and her mouth fell open in shock. There before her, grinning up at her, with his spiky dark brown hair, hazel eyes and looking like nothing had ever happened to him was her little brother. Nadine shook her head, not believing her eyes as John wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly. As Nadine hugged him back and tears of happiness fell from her eyes, she could hear faint voices around her. She turned her head the same time as John did. There was still a crowd of people gathered around as Kin and the young girl were trying unsuccessfully to resuscitate Nadine. John looked down at his sisters body sorrowfully shaking his head, while realisation dawned on Nadine that she was gone. As she stared at her bloodied body, she took steps away from it feeling like she was dreaming. Though the evidence was there in front of her eyes, and there holding her hand she still found it all too much to accept. Her thoughts drifted to her Mother, Mum.

John also lowered his eyes sadly as he thought of their Mother, then he turned away and tugged Nadines arms. She glanced down at him questioningly and he nodded with his head to one side. Come on, he said reassuringly. Nadine also raised her eyes as the view of their street faded, replaced by a bright light. John urged her towards it and as they both took steps forwards Nadine could see silhouettes of people waiting for her. As she got closer, they became clearer and Nadine was able to identify them. She saw Lily and Amber, standing side by side with Karens arms wrapped around them as she crouched down between them. Sean was standing behind her with his hands resting lightly on his girlfriends shoulders. Next to Lily, stood Dean with an arm wrapped around Kats waist, who was resting her head against his shoulder. Standing in front of Dean and holding onto Kats hand was Nikki. Next to Dean, with his hands shoved in his pockets and smiling warmly was Dominic. Beside Amber were Dani and Shane who were holding hands with each other. They all looked exactly how Nadine remembered, before Alan had disfigured them. Everybody seemed happy to have Nadine reunited with them. John and Nadine walked towards them and disappeared into the light, as all those she thought she had lost congregated around her.

THE END.