Chapter Sixteen

Nadine decided the best place to go was her house, her Mum was doing a night shift at the hospital, John was at a sleepover and nobody really wanted to deal with Alans attitude. Nadine unlocked her door, then Kat barged past her heading straight for the Kitchen.

Nadine tried to talk some sense into Karen again.

"Let me call the police. Please, Karen. We need to keep them updated. They can help us."

Karen doesn't reply, but Nadine could see that her stubbornness was subsiding a bit, she's giving that option some consideration. Kat reappears carrying a bottle of beer, she is easing the cap off with a bottle opener.

"Is that really the answer Kat? We need to remain alert."Nadine lectured her with a hint of annoyance in her voice.

Kat glares at her as she passes, then kicks open the door to the Lounge, flicks the light switch on then heads straight across the room to a unit which has Nadines Mums Tatty Teddy ornament collection on it. She puts the bottle, and the opener down on one of the shelves then reached into the back pocket of her jeans and pulls out a small plastic sealed bag, there is a single white tablet in there.

Looking back at Karen and Nadine to be sure they weren't watching her, she saw that they were still talking by the front door, she quickly opened the bag then tipped the tablet into the bottle. Karen's voice was audible from the hallway.

"Double, no, triple lock all doors and windows, then we can sit here safely, regroup then decide what to do."

She heard them heading into the Lounge so she hurriedly pushed the empty packet back into her pocket. She was about to pick up her beer, when suddenly Karen and Nadine scream loudly making Kat jump, she spins around then also covers her mouth and screams.

Karen runs into the room then falls onto her knees in front of one of the armchairs, her eyes already filling up with tears.

Sean was slumped in the armchair, with his head tipped back and eyes closed like he was sleeping. Karen grabs the front of Seans letterman jacket shaking him.

"No, Come on Sean, No."

From where she was standing, Kat could see that the back of the armchair and the cushion was soaked red with blood. Karen placed both hands on the sides of Seans face then with tears streaming from her eyes, she pleaded.

"Please Sean. You can't die on me."

Kat steps forwards and moves round to the back of Seans head, Karen buries her face in Seans lap crying hysterically. Kat tilts Seans head forward slightly revealing a huge dent in the back, there is blood still dripping from the wound. On the floor beside the armchair is a heavy stone garden ornament in the shape of a Toadstool. Kat immediately recognised it, she'd seen it many times in Nadines front garden. Nadine approaches Karen, resting both hands on her shoulders. Kat bends down then picks up the stone ornament, the bottom of it is also stained with blood. She throws it angrily across the room.

"Aarrgghh, you sick fuck."

The stone ornament rolls into a little alcove out of the way over the other side of the Lounge. Kat stamps out of the room while Nadine watches her, wondering where she's going. She reappears a moment later with the knife block from the Kitchen. She tips all eight of them out onto the little mahogany coffee table then picks up a large butchers knife.

"What we really need is a gun or a crossbow rather than a knife," she mutters more to herself than anyone else.

Nadine and Kat raise their heads as they hear sounds from upstairs, there's a loud thud then the noise of something solid rolling across wooden floorboards.