Eleven

The helmet beeped as Tony Stark turned it on, he relaxed back, facing it and the little red light in the eye socket that showed that it was recording. He was ragged and filthy. His cheekbones were showing and his eyes were blood shot but he still gave the camera a small smile.

"Hi Miss Potts", he greeted. "If you get this recording then don't post it on social media. It's a real tear jerker. I don't know if you're ever going to see these. I don't even know if you're still"- he broke off and took a deep breath.

"Today's day 21, no 22. You know if it wasn't the existential terror of staring into the void of space, then I'd say that I'm feeling a little bit better today. Infections run it's course thanks to blue meanie back there", he chuckled lightly at the mention of Nebula, pausing to take another deep breath. "Oh, you'd love her. Very practical and only a tiny bit sadistic".

He sighed and the mood darkened. "The fuel cells were cracked during the fight but we managed to reverse the ion charge, brought ourselves about 48 hours of flight time. But it's now dead in the water. Thousand light years from the nearest 7-elven. Food ran out three days ago. Water yesterday. The only reason we have oxygen is because Emil is using himself to power the air filters. The kid was drained already and this is costing him energy he doesn't have. But he insists on doing it".

Stark sighed and rubbed his eyes. "He's barely lasting on the edge of a coma. When he slips then that's it. Pep, I know I said no more surprises but I gotta say that I was really hoping to pull off one last one. But it looks like, well you know how it looks". He stared out into space for a moment, eyes taking in the sea of stars. "Don't feel bad about this. I mean actually if you grovel about this for a few weeks, then move on with enormous guilt..." he groaned softly. "I should probably lie down for a bit, rest my eyes. Please note that when I drift off, it will be like every night lately. I'm fine. Totally fine. I dream about you. Cause it's always you".

The helmet powered down with a beep and Stark sighed. Raising himself to his feet he stumbled down into the engine room where Emil was curled up next the air filters. The boy had lost weight. His face was gaunt and hollow and his skin had lost its spark. Stark placed a hand on his shoulder.

Emil struggled to open his eyes, blinking slowly at Tony. The normally glowing blue orbs were dim. Stark shuddered slightly. Emil's eyes were almost white. "Hey Stark", he mumbled tiredly. His lips twitched as if he wanted to smile but didn't have the strength.

"Hey kid. How's it going?"

"I'm tired Stark. I want to sleep", Emil's voice was so quiet that Stark had to strain to hear him. Footsteps sounded and he looked up to watch as Nebula entered the room. They exchanged grim glances.

"I know Emil, I know", Stark sighed sadly. Emil was slipping, he could see it. The kid was practically a skeleton. His skull was visible under the skin of his face, skin blotchy and burning. He hadn't eaten in almost a week, unable to stomach anything given to him. The cut on his forehead had been cleaned but it was infected and he was burning a fever. Any energy he had was used to power the oxygen filters keeping everyone alive. The sight of him tore Stark up.

He went to say something else but Emil's eyes had closed. With a sigh, he used the wall to pull himself up. "How long has he got?" Nebula asked, eyes watching Emil's shallow breaths.

"Hours" Stark ran a hand over his face. "First his organs will shut down, then his breathing will stop. When that happens the oxygen will run out and we'll suffocate". It was a horrible prediction.

Nebula nodded, face unreadable. "Who was it that he lost?" She asked. Stark had been stumbling back towards the front of the ship. He tripped but Nebula caught him. She pulled his arm round her shoulders and began walking him forwards.

"The other kid", Stark grunted. "That was his boyfriend. Emil didn't have much, now he barely has anything", he groaned as Nebula set him down in the captains chair, settling him so that he was facing the window and out into space. "Peter was a kid. He was a hero, my trainee? Someone I mentored? He was everything to Emil". Stark sighed deeply as he stared out into the void. "You lose anyone?"

"My sister", Nebula said. She kept her eyes on the window. "Gamora".

"I'm sorry". The words were not enough.

"So am I". It was silent for a moment and Stark drifted off. Nebula spared him a look. Seeing that he was asleep, she stood and silently left the room. She wandered back down to where Emil was sleeping. Collecting a blanket from a nearby table, she unrolled it and draped it over his still body. Stepping back, she sat down on the metal floor in a silent vigil over the dying boy.

Stark awoke to a bright light on his face. Grunting sleepily, he raised a hand to block his eyes. The light didn't fade, instead it got brighter. Reluctantly Stark opened his eyes with a groan. He blinked. He blinked again. He did a double take and rubbed his eyes.

There was a glowing woman hovering in space in front of the ship. She was dressed in some metal suit with a gold star emblazoned on the front. Gold light emanated from her body like a supernova. Her blond hair drifted lazily and she smiled slightly down at him.

Stark smiled back

Unedited