Thirty five

Tony's funeral was a bittersweet affair. Emil attended with Peter and May. The three of them all in black. Peter had a black suit for the somber occasion, matching Emil's. He stood tall. May resting a comfortable hand on his shoulder. Emil stood a few steps ahead, face carefully blank and hands clasped in front of him.

The funeral was held at the back of the Stark family home. Tony has been cremated and his ashes spread over the lake behind the house. Everyone was assembled from the back porch down the jetty out onto the water. All of the avengers where there. Bruce, who had broken his arm during Tyne battle, was there with the limb in a sling. Clint and his wife stood on the shore. Emil, Peter and May were on the beginning of the jetty. Steve just ahead.

The missing place that Natasha should have occupied weighed heavily upon them. They had no body for her. Legally she did not exist, the drawback of being a spy. So there was no funeral. No memorial. Her only friends and family was the team. She spent her whole life as a spy. Now that she was gone, it was as if she was never there. All her belongings went during the explosion. Emil half wished that he could have salvaged anything. But this was the best they could do. Nat wouldn't want a funeral. She wouldn't want them to break down over her.

Pepper and Morgan stood right on the edge of the jetty. Both dressed in black dresses. Morgan's face was confused and sad. Too young to fully understand what was going on. Tears were dripping down Pepper's face as she bent down a placed a flower wreath in the water. In the middle of the flowers was a glass case containing the first arc reactor that Tony ever built. The one that led to him becoming iron man.

As it floated slowly across the water, Pepper pulled Morgan into a hug. Emil blinked back tears as he read the writing across the glass case. "Proof that Tony Stark has a heart". Without turning, Emil reaches his hand back. He felt Peter reach out and take it softly. Their fingers interlocking in a silent action of support for each other. The only sound was of quiet sniffle from silent tears.

They all began moving into the house at different times. Some drifting into small groups, others leaving to wander on their own. Morgan broke away from her mother to talk to Happy as Pepper began making the rounds and thanking people for attending.

Emil turned to Peter and May. He squeezed Peter's hand as he cleared his throat, the words taking a while to come. "I've got to go and talk to Clint for a moment".

May gave him a soft smile. She reached out and patted his shoulder. "Okay honey. Take your time". Emil smiled weakly back and stepped back, letting go of Peter's hand.

Clint and his wife, who Emil had never met, was talking to Steve and the rest of the avengers by the shore. The guardians were also there. Drax and Mantis both dresses in black clothes. Drax actually wearing a shirt for once. They all looked up as Emil approached. Bucky opening his arms wordlessly for a hug. Emil stepped between him and Steve and rested his head on his father's shoulder. Bucky patted him on the back as they pulled away.

"Clint", Emil spoke. The man turned to him, breaking off a quiet conversation with his wife. Emil took a shuddering breath and reached his hand into his suit pocket. "You knew her the longest. And you were also the one who knew her the best. So I suppose that you should have this". He drew out his fist and held it out. Clint reached out and Emil dropped the gold chain into his palm. The tiny gold arrow charm glinting in the sunlight.

"It was the only thing I could bring back", Emil muttered as he awkwardly stuck his hands back in his pockets. Clint examined the necklace with teary eyes. Next to Emil, Steve made a surprised, grieving noise.

"She wore that often", he sighed deeply. "One of the only pieces I saw her wear during the last five years. She wore it when we came to ask Tony for help". A deep sad silence descended over them. Emil sported Thor rubbing his eyes under his sun glasses.

Client's wife nodded at Emil in thanks as her husband curled his hand round the chain. Clint pressed his face into her neck as he held the necklace to his chest. It was a intimate scene. Emil retreated, feeling like he was intruding. He crossed back over to May and Peter. Bucky following him.

Peter was talking with a young man with sandy blonde hair. The guy looked to be about a year or two older than them. Probably about nineteen or twenty. Peter was talking animatedly, hands moving. Despite this, his usual excitement was filled slightly by grief. He smiled as Emil and Bucky walked over. Emil wrapped a arm around Peter's waist.

"Harley, this is my boyfriend Emil. Emil, this is Harley. He's another friend of Mr Stark", Peter introduced as he swung and arm over Emil's shoulders. Emil nestled into his hold. Harley nodded at him with a small smile. Emil noticed his eyes lingering on the blue lightning scars covering his hand and crossing up his the right side of his neck and cheek. The lines had faded in colour, now the shade of blood/purple veins rather than electric, but they would never go away.

"I've heard about you. It's a shame to be meeting like this. Mr Stark was a great man".

"He was. This is my father. Bucky Barnes". Bucky nodded and held his hand out.

"Nice to meet you kid".

Peter launched into a excited explanation, hands moving rapidly. Emil's emotionally drained brain got the gist of the conversation. Apparently Harley was a mechanic who had meet Tony as a child. Like with Peter, Tony had taken the boy under his wing. He now worked as a mechanic and inventor at Stark industries and was just as much as a science and mechanical nerd as Peter. Emil was glad that Peter had found a bright side to the day, had made a new friend, but he was tired.

"Peter", Emil interrupted his boyfriend. "I'm going to head home".

Peter immediately stilled and frowned. "Are you okay? Do you want us to go with you?"

Emil shook his head, smiling slightly at the offer. He always underestimated Peter's kindness. It felt like he was getting to know him all over again, falling deeper each time. He pressed a peck to his cheek. "No. It's okay. Feel free to talk to Harley more. I just need a breather. Give me a call and I'll come and get you in a bit".

"I'll go with him", Bucky volunteered. Peter and May nodded, the two seemingly settled. Ever since they had come back, Emil felt like his friends and family were hovering around him like flies. Steve had explained everything to them. From his near death experiences, to his reckless and depressed actions. In someways, it annoyed Emil. He was used to being alone and everyone walking on egg shells didn't help. But he could understand where they were coming from. He still got nightmares and the scars would never fade. But seeing them every morning made things better.

Emil gave both Peter and May a hug before going to speak to Pepper. He explained that he was leaving and the ginger drew him in for a warm hug. "Thank you for coming", she said as they parted. "I expect you to be here for Sunday lunch. Morgan would love to have you. She adores you".

Emil flashed a quick grin. "I'll see you this Sunday", he promised. He wouldn't leave Morgan alone. Tony was there when he woke up. He would be there for Morgan in turn.

Pepper hugged him again. Her embrace thin but strong. "We are always here for you Emil", she whispered in his ear.

"Just as I am for you", he replied. "If you ever need someone to babysit Morgan, feel free to call". Pepper chuckled through her tears.

"I'll make sure to give you a bell".

She drew back and Emil stepped away. Bucky rested a comforting hand on his shoulder, not speaking but watching him reassuringly. Emil sagged again this touch. He thought of home. Of his tower, with the many rooms and many apartments. It had not been a home for five years. He hoped that it would be one again.

"Let's go kid", Bucky prompted. Emil nodded and the two of them vanished with a flash of blue light.

Unedited