Q&A

So no Far from Home book?

Nope. I will not be doing any more books. I may do the occasional oneshot, but no more books for Emil and Peter.

I always intended to have Emil's story finish with endgame, even before FFH came out. I just feel like Emil's presence would mess up the plot to FFH. He can feel energy levels. He would take one look at the elemental monster and Mysterio and ruin it all. He would announce that the whole thing was fake, flip fury the bird, then teleport Peter away on a real vacation.

The whole movie would be over before they even left Venice. If I separated Peter and Emil, sent Emil on a space mission or something with Carol. Then it would make for a very confusing plot line.

So yeah, not exactly long enough for a book.

Also, I feel like Emil's story is over. Even though it's mostly about him and Peter, the two books have been the journey of Emil healing. There is a reason why I did not include much about his past. That was a different person. This series has been about Emil discovering himself and finding a family. It's about his journey of learning to heal and love.

He got that. So his story is over.

——

What parts of Emil do you think are related to who you are as a person?

This is a really interesting question.
Emil was my first character I created on this account, and the first of my books to get over 1k reads. So he means quite a bit to me.

I feel that while writing his story, I have developed as a writer. Because of this, I feel that there are a few things about me which has bled through in Emil. For one, his age. I was 15, the same age as Peter, when Spider-Man homecoming came out and I first thought of Emil. I am 18 now, around the same age as Emil. So I definitely explored his growth as a person as I discovered my own.

For physical characteristics, there are a few things that I definitely share with him. For one, I am a crybaby which is something Emil is. He didn't have emotions for a long time when with hydra, so he gets overly emotional at times. I hate the fact that I cry so easily, so I try and portray his crying as something to be unashamed off. That it is okay to cry and get emotional, even if it's about small, silly things. Like the ending to httyd 3.

Another thing is the grief Emil experiences during this book. I used a lot of my own feelings when writing it. His fear of loneliness and abandonment is something I definitely share. I wrote the infinity war parts way before last Christmas. The February after, my grandma died. I was close to her and her death was really sudden. So any chapters published after February also explored a lot of my own feelings through Emil.

Also, on a different note, I am also an artist (if you saw my work earlier in the book then feel free to follow me on Instagram. @excapist_at_heart, or @fray_ing). I made Emil an artist because I was a bit sick of the science nerds. Tony, Bruce, Peter, and Shuri are amazing, but it's all science around them. Not to say that they aren't creative characters, I just wanted to explore a person who is in this mad world and is actually not very scientific. Emil is more of a visual guy. He likes creating brightly coloured visual things and doesn't understand the science jargon.

——

What are Emil's powers specifically?

He can absorb and influence different types of energy. Because he was created directly from the tessaract, absorbing energy and teleporting are what comes most naturally to him. Since the tessaract was the first stone he cane directly into contact with. In the beginning of this book, he also learns how to shoot energy out of his fingers.