Chapter 12: Worthy Opponent

Prince Leonidas

The moon stares down upon me as I stroll through the village streets in Rerimas. Tonight I am free of any commitments. Usually, I could supervise a raid against Cadomia to pass the time. It's just that the ball in Relabeth is tomorrow and I don't want to give Axelia any reason to keep her guard up. 

Sliding my hands into the pockets of a long wool coat, I sigh and tuck my nose under the warmth of a cotton scarf as a breeze chills my skin. 

Reriman land is primarily village and our castle is humble in size with comparison. There are homes made of stone blocks around every corner, markets, and booths lining every street. A massive gold mine is behind the castle, and as heavily manned as it is guarded. The Royal Court left my family in charge of its keep. 

It's only true benefit is that humans obsess over it and will find any reason to trade blood to obtain it. The walls of their castles bleed gold. They desire it as though it preserves their very lives; Cadaekin, Cadomia, and Ciremeth that is.

Yet, my kind is considered the beast of existence.

A neigh interrupts my silent stroll as I pass by the stable. The only horse inside at this time of the night is Shadow. All of the others are with soldiers and knights on patrols or in training sessions. 

Redirecting my stride, I stand near a wall of the building just outside of where she would be. Her hooves beat against the wood as she approaches from the other side of the wall, and I smile. 

"You smell much better now that you're clean," I say, and hear her snort before she whines soft neighs. Breath from her nostrils seeps like steam through the wooden boards between us. "I won't need you tonight. You must stay presentable for our trip to Relabeth tomorrow." 

With that, I continue heading to the main gate of the Reriman wall. 

Tonight, there is a meeting at the castle's largest courtyard. It's the only reason I'm able to walk the streets without interruption. The council are making announcements about the marriage of Princess Aiko and Prince Koa as well as informing those who serve as knights and soldiers of their new shifts due to the recent Feral sightings. 

Those are the creatures of the night that King Valerio associates me with. They are ruthless, mindless, killers. Driven by the pure instinct to feed. It's as though they have been triggered and it doesn't turn off. They can't control their bloodlust and slaughter anything with a heartbeat. Even animals fall prey to their unquenchable diet. 

Thinking about them rattles my nerves and makes me uneasy about venturing into the forest tonight. No one has ever seen one in our region but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

My thoughts interrupt when three guards at the main gate begin to shout at a fourth. "What do you mean they aren't back yet?" the tallest guard exclaims before grabbing the smallest and pulling him closer.

"They-I--" the young boy stutters, but stops when he catches sight of me approaching.

The other two guards flank them as they turn their attention to me with their javelins. 

"Citizen, return to the meeting at the courtyard. You have no business here," one acknowledges.

Sighing, I pull down the hood of my coat and the scarf from over my nose.

"Your Majesty," they punch their fists into the chests of their armor in salute. The young soldier falls to the snow and scrambles to his feet to do the same. 

"Who isn't back?" I question, meeting the wide eyes of the boy.

"A-a few of the trainees wanted to have a snow fight. I was supposed to cover for them but I need to go on my patrol and they aren't back like they said they would be," he explains.