Chapter 35: To Know You

Princess Axelia

As I sit on a log staring into the dancing flames of my bonfire, I can't stop bouncing my legs and twiddling my fingers.

What if Maynard tells my father what I've done? Would he? He didn't let the other soldiers catch sight of me, so perhaps he will keep it secret.

My father would lose his mind if knew where I was.

Restless, I rise from my seat and begin to pace around the fire until I notice Aries sticking his head into the den.

He's far too big to actually come inside with us, but I can't let him freeze either.

"Lie down and I'll tie you up as close as I can," I murmur as I approach him, hugging his head to my chest to guide him to his knees.

"You should release him," Leonidas suggests, frightening me.

Glancing over my shoulder, I find him squatting beside the fire lifting up one of my rabbit carcasses while nodding in a seemingly impressed manner.

"But the storm is getting worse. I don't want him to get lost or hurt."

He brushes off his hands before joining my side.

Though his face is clean, there are still numerous blood stains at the base of his neck and where some of his other minor injuries were before they healed.

I can only assume his clothes are drenched, but they are such a deep shade of black that under the dim light I can't tell for sure.

Aries suddenly lifts his head from my hands to meet eyes with the Prince.

"He knows his way back to your Kingdom. We're only a few miles away," he discloses and offers Aries a few comforting rubs to his muzzle. "He's quite fond of you, Princess. Your loyal friend won't leave unless you tell him to despite the risk to his life if he were to stay."

Can he hold conversations with them or is it more of an intuitive ability?

I'd ask, but I'm not feeling up for much conversation. My stomach is actually a little queasy and I don't believe it's from the rabbits.

For some reason, my heart won't steady and I can't seem to shake the fuzzy, tingling numbness creeping up and down my arms. There's even a slight itch around my neckline, and I can't hold still for longer than a few seconds.

"Go," I whisper the command and Aries nudges the side of his face into my head.

I don't need Leonidas to tell me that he's offering me comfort. Aries always knows when something is wrong.

Leaning forward, I hug my horse once more before sending him off with a pat to his shoulder. I catch the slight dip of Leonidas' eyebrows expressing concern, but ignore it turning my back to him as I watch Aries take off into the trees.

A few tears well up in my eyes, until I blink them away as I walk back into the den with Leonidas slowly following behind.

It's just the two of us for now.

"Axelia, are you alr--"

"Can you get those out of here?" I interrupt, gesturing to the pile of what looks to be about eight men tucked away at the back of the den. My tone is a bit aggressive, so I add, "Please." Which also unintentionally comes out harsh.

He doesn't respond but begins to make his way over to them until he passes by my rabbits again.

"If these get to stay--" his light-hearted tone agitates me and I snap.

"Get them out!" I bellow the command.

"Okay, I was only joking," he mutters, tossing his hands up in surrender before turning to the bodies.