Chapter 39: How Did I Get These?

awkwardrai

Princess Axelia

"Do you like your gift?" Leonidas asks as he hands me back the dagger he was able to make fly from my hands.

Holding a palm over the throbbing bite wound in my neck, I offer a curt nod.

It isn't oozing blood the way I expected, but he did tell me my skin was already bruising. I'll have to wear a dress with a high neck to shield the injury from sight until Prince Miliano tries to feed from me.

"H-how does it--" I trail off when speaking further irritates the wound causing me to wince and clutch the bite tighter.

Leonidas' eyes soften in compassion as he steps forward to grasp the hand I'm holding the dagger with into one of his own.

"When you touched the feather it imprinted on you in the way my wings could. It will always return to you in combat, or if your life is in danger," he explains, thankfully knowing my question. "I am only able to command it because it came from me."

So his wings must have a mind of their own after all. I wonder why he's the only vampire in our region who has them.

"It's incredible," I smile weakly before grimacing from the wound.

Is it supposed to hurt this bad? How am I going to endure dinner without raising suspicion?

His eyes drop to my neck as they swirl with concern.

"Maybe this isn't a good idea. I don't like that it's hurting you so much," he worries and attempts to remove my hand to expose the wound until I lean away.

"No, I want to try this," I insist.

The idea of another vampire digging their fangs into my neck terrifies me. If this has a chance of preventing that outcome, then I will make it work.

"Alright," he agrees. "Meet me here tomorrow at sunset so I can heal you, and if this Prince causes more trouble than you can handle--"

"I'll call for you," I promise.

Smiling, he takes my elbows and draws me closer as he plants a chaste kiss on my forehead. "Don't let your guard down, Warrior Princess," he whispers, then vanishes as a breeze chills my skin.

Mounting the horse I stole, I ride back to Cadomia ready to get this over with and eager about getting to see Leonidas again tomorrow. A new giddiness tickling through me replacing what used to be hostility. So many emotions still clash when I think of him but something vital has significantly changed.

It's not until I am about to abandon the horse at our army stable that I notice we brought along a guest.

On the rump of the horse is a small winged creature with fine black hairs, wide eyes and triangular shaped face pointing its nose.

"Well hello there," I say as I step forward and lean so my hands rest atop my knees trying to identify the creature.

"Princess, your father has been searching everywhere for you," a guard exclaims as he steps into the stable. "The Prince has arrived. Everyone's gathering in the dining hall."

"Guard, are you familiar with bats?"

"Y-yes, your Grace," he stammers, approaches my side. "That is merely a baby mega-fruit bat. Completely harmless. Unlike those attending tonight's dinner you will be late to."

Excuse me?

I turn to him with a glare that causes his Adam's apple to bob.

"What is your name, Guard?"