Chapter 45: I'm Here

Prince Leonidas

I'm certain the last time I got a full rest was a few days ago in the den. To say I'm exhausted is an understatement, but with Valerio gathering an army of Ferals I don't have time for sleep.

"Defense is our best strategy," I chime in to a discussion with our generals, Farouk and Elytis. "Make sure we keep a seven mile radius around the Kingdom. I want to avoid bringing the fight home."

"Let's attack their walls," our Calvary general casts his vote. "If we take the offense, Valerio won't have a choice but to pull back."

"It won't keep him from releasing the Ferals," the Infantry general points out.

"Valerio might recruit the Cadaekin army to guard Cadomia. Do we want to be at war with two of the strongest militaries?" an Artillery general adds.

"We will not attack their Kingdom," I declare, clenching my fists on the back of a wooden chair annoyed with the debate. "Understood?"

While I'm not fond of the Cadomian army, I know Axelia cares deeply for her people. Rerimans aren't soulless beasts, but there's no certainty we could prevent the loss of casualties during a war. Not this war. Tensions have been high for too long between our Kingdoms.

Nodding, they shift our discussion to a layout of the land to place teams and form strategies. It takes hours as we consider various possibilities and scenarios.

It doesn't help that everyone is on edge today as well. The soldiers, captains, and generals have been arguing and fighting every half hour as their unquenched thirsts hinders their better judgements.

A few times I've received snide remarks, dirty looks, and overheard murmurs of distaste but I've been doing my best to ignore them knowing this is a consequence of my massacre.

I deserve worse.

"Leonidas?" Elytis asks, and I don't even realize I've been questioned again.

Shaking my head, I hope to ease the weight of lethargy looming over me but it doesn't work.

My aching body feels as though it's crying.

"That is enough for now," Farouk decides, stepping up to place a hand on one of my shoulders as he guides me from the main lodge of our base.

The sun has just begun to set, so as soon as I step out my skin begins to sizzle only further draining my energy until Elytis tosses a wool blanket over my head.

"Let's get back to the castle," he suggests.

Mounting Shadow, I notice my skin has already healed, soothing itself of the pain. I drank enough blood yesterday to sustain me for two weeks so long as I don't do anything reckless.

"You should rest when we return," Farouk says as he rides alongside me. "There's no telling when Valerio will make his move but when he does it'll be wise for you to be at your best."

He's right but I haven't even thought about fighting the King. I know I want to kill him but he's the only family Axelia has left. My family shouldn't be the demise of her own.

Sighing, I comb a hand through my hair and choose to eavesdrop on the soldiers who are sitting in groups sharpening and cleaning their weapons as we pass by.

"The transfers have already come in," I catch one of them say.

"That's why the infantry soldiers finished their work early. The generals sent them to feed first," another shares.

Good, now they'll cooperate better.

"Infantry went first?" a younger soldier whines. "Do you know what they do to the prisoners? The dungeons will be disgusting after they're done using the women as toys and spilling blood everywhere."