Chapter 28: Do Dreams Come True?

Princess Axelia

Shadow's neighs fill the stable as soon as we enter and she doesn't stop pounding her hooves against the large planks of wood that make up the floor until Leonidas stands before her stall doors.

"Easy," he breathes a chuckle as she shoves her head into his chest.

I'm not sure what it is about seeing him around children and animals that causes a pinch in my heart, but I like it.

To avoid staring, I rush into Aries' stall to guide him from the stable until Shadow slips past, blocking our path.

Her charcoal eyes leave me breathless when they meet my gaze and her muscles shudder as though she flexes them to intimidate me.

Aries steps forward between the two of us.

I almost believe it's his intention to guard me until the horses begin to nibble at each other's necks and backs.

Leonidas comes around from the other side of Aries with furrowed brows stopping to cross his arms over his chest and watch. "Interesting," he murmurs so low, I almost don't catch it over their hooves padding the floor.

She seems to be fond of Aries which I hope will get her to like me, too.

"Where are we going to race to?" I wonder as we mount and begin trotting out to a gate built in the Kingdom's wall.

He gestures up to the gatekeeper before turning his gaze to me.

"Let's just run north until the horses decide to stop," he shrugs.

My eyes narrow as I perceive his nonchalance as a sign of confidence, so the moment the gate is high enough for Aries and I to pass through, I flick his reigns and take off to the tree-line.

It's not until the light from the moon vanishes under the thick trees that I even recall the night before.

What if we run into more Ferals?

My arms chill under their sleeves at the thought before Leonidas whizzes by. "You call this a race?"

I already know his horse is faster but I can at least make him sweat a little.

"Come on, Aries," I lean forward and whisper.

He rears back for a moment and then picks up a pace quick enough to get us near Shadow's tail.

At some point, we manage to run along beside her which catches Leonidas' attention with a look of surprise as he glances over at me. It's the first time I catch a wide smile part his lips, and to my surprise, he doesn't push Shadow to out stride us.

We just ride.

Content, I hug my body to Aries' back to close my eyes and enjoy the rush of the wind.

I think we've run for a good twenty minutes before Aries taps out and Leonidas circles Shadow back to join us for a break.

Grinning, I slide off the saddle to offer them praise. Shadow could probably fly if she wanted to. She's the fastest land animal I've ever seen.

"She's incredible," I gush as they slow to a stop.

Unfortunately, I still haven't won her favor.

The moment I reach an arm towards her she stomps a hoof at me, pinning her ears and squealing.

Leonidas slips from the saddle and places his hands on her shoulders before she has a chance to rear back with a kick. Once her hooves seem to stay low, he presses her muzzle down, lowering her head, and whispers into one of her ears.