Chapter 40: Missing Pieces

Prince Leonidas

Scars.

She has so many.

I've watched every battle she's been in. I was always there in case things ever went too far. I would only "duel" her so raiders from my Kingdom couldn't cause her any harm. Even if she would hurt me, I would simply disarm her and leave. I was always and only there to protect her.

Most of the wounds I could recognize, but there were some on her face, cheekbones and neck higher than any of my bites have ever been. Then, others like the ones on her wrists bold enough to make a statement, bold enough that I could see through the eyes of a baby bat that made my stomach queasy. 

How?

How did she get those?

"Leonidas, are you listening?" Alec grumbles from beside me as he spins around in a chair while one of the butlers finishes polishing me for our guest. "There will be guards present while the Prince is here, and Elytis should meet you on the way to the dungeons," he repeats with a hard sigh. 

"That won't be necessary," I reply in a low mutter as I rise to my feet. "Prince Miliano is no friend to King Valerio. It may offend him to have that much security. Elytis will be more than enough."

Groaning, he pulls his hands down his face and hops from his chair. "Queen Ida doesn't want to take any chances. He was just in Cadomia and--"

"I said its fine, Alec," I harshly interject, silencing all the chatter in the room as other maids and butlers scurry around. 

His eyes widen for a moment then turn to a scowl.

"It's my job to make sure you're healthy and responsible," he reminds me, rolling his shoulders back in confidence. "Lately you've been in a lot of battles, and I already know you haven't been feeding enough. You missed two council meetings tonight alone so I'm not backing down," his voice raises slightly, and a few butlers gape at him. Their nervous pulses drum loudly through the room. My silence causes Alec to break a sweat. "I'm worried about you. Okay?"

Sighing, I lower to a squat a place a hand atop his head. It's not him who has me so on edge. Valerio. Either he's been hurting her or the people of her Kingdom have, and Cassius has been covering for them.

"Thank you," I whisper softly, "please find Farouk and have him write what I missed in the meetings tonight. I'll feed with the Prince while we're in the dungeons but Elytis is the only security I'll need."

My poor blood consumption has left me in a state of fatigue. While I doubt Prince Miliano is a threat I shouldn't base all my decisions off my weary judgement.

Nodding, Alec grins and runs from the room.

******

"Prince Miliano?" Elytis over enunciates the name. "It doesn't seem intimidating. I bet he can't even fight. Miliano? It's like a name you'd give a character in a play," he continues to ramble until we reach the entrance of the dungeon. 

A half-dozen of his own guards stand around the lobby and bow at my arrival making it easy to spot Prince Miliano as he waits beside the Keeper. 

"Standing next to you while they do that makes me feel good," Ely leans over to whisper as they all rise to their natural heights again.

Ignoring him, I stroll forward until I am before the Prince who stands shorter than me. His hair is so curly and thick it almost covers his eyes, but he isn't bad looking. I'm surprised Axelia didn't seem at all flustered by his appearance. She didn't stutter once.

I see no threat.

"Prince Leonidas," he extends a hand which I meet with a firm shake.

"Prince Miliano, to what do I owe the pleasure?"