Chapter 48: From Enemy to Ally

Prince Leonidas

Shadow nudges the back of my right shoulder with her muzzle after I dismount her at our arrival to the Reriman West Base. Every tent is in flames and supplies are scattered along the muddy ground. 

"The bodies are further north," Elytis reports as he and eight Calvary soldiers come trotting from the tree line. "I don't sense any survivors. Valerio made sure to be thorough."

Of course. 

"Where are they now?"

Pulling back on the reins, his horse stops a few feet beside Shadow. He then cracks his neck and stretches his arms to relax before the entirety of his eyes turns pitch black. 

It enables his ability to track people and objects from far distances which is quite beneficial during a time such as this. 

"They're continuing south and heading to the West Wall. If we go now we might arrive before they engage the army," he announces and the Calvary soldiers begin a quick search through the base for weapons.

The rotten scent of our soldier's burning bodies is pungent enough to make my blood boil so I turn to Shadow with intent to mount, but as soon as I step into the stirrup a wave of exhaustion hits me like a gust of wind. 

Pausing, I lower my foot back to the ground and close my eyes as I lean my forehead against Shadow's neck until the moment of lightheadedness wanes. 

"Leonidas?" Ely sounds concerned and I hear the thud of his boots on the ground before I feel his presence beside me. 

Not wanting him to worry I try to straighten up which only make me stumble my next step, alarming Shadow when Elytis swiftly positions himself under one of my arms. 

"You weren't able to rest earlier?" he wonders as I regain my balance, and I only give a half shake of my head in response before meeting his uneasy gaze. "Are you planning to fight like this?" 

Clearing my throat, I unwrap my arm from around his neck and hoist myself onto Shadow.

"If I must."

"You shouldn't, even then," he frowns and returns to his own horse. "I'm taking you back to the castle. This isn't going to--"

"Elytis, I'm fine," I sternly interrupt. 

Though we both know it isn't true, he doesn't argue as I call over the Calvary men and begin leading us back to Rerimas.

Fifteen minutes later we reach the tree line before facing a half-mile from the Reriman Wall of hilly, snowy, grass-patched land.

North of the West Wall, we get to observe the collision between two hundred of our infantry dressed in black and silver against a few hundred of Cadomian infantry and Calvary adorned in their blinding white and gold.

It appears an even fight considering the enhanced strength and speed of our ground troops. Swords clash, horses fall, an aroma of blood fills the air, and our soldiers gain the upper hand, but I'm not foolish to believe this will be all we'll have to deal with. Valerio has been preparing for thirteen years to destroy Rerimas. 

"Their artillery is moving in," Elytis points out, and we shift our gazes to the right where the Cadomian archers emerge and start to position themselves to lie waste of our infantry.

Hopping off Shadow, I take a few large steps from the men and horses with a grimace as my wings rip through the muscles and skin of my back.

"I'm going to distract the archers until our Calvary gets close enough to wipe them out," I announce and feel my wings stretch before flexing to propel me into the air.