Chapter 6: Opportunity

Prince Leonidas

"I'm sorry for last night," my mother says a few minutes into our ride back to the castle. She moves so that she is now sitting beside me. "It has been weighing on you, and Valerio spoke without any regard."

Killing is in my nature. It doesn't bother me to take a life, but to slaughter disturbs my conscience.

Cassius confirming that I am a danger doesn't flatter my ego, either. There is no pride in being a monster.

I want to be able to tame my thirst during an episode. My father left the entire region in fear that I might lack in self-control. Valerio makes a point to bring it up every time we share the same space.

I'm not my father, nor a beast. I try not to be. Yet, when I trigger--

"Axelia is becoming quite courageous these days," she adds as she grasps my arm and leans against my shoulder. "Her mother would be proud of her grit."

Releasing a heavy sigh, I ignore the way Valerio's insult echoes in my thoughts. "You're fond of her?" I question, reclining my posture to try to relax my aching muscles.

My mother strives to restore peace with Valerio, but rarely mentions Axelia. I recall a time when doing so would cause her distress because she lost her best friend, forever.

"I always have been."

Her words comfort me.

People tend to misunderstand and critique the warrior Princess. Sometimes I wonder if she is able to understand herself. To have someone erase my memories would surely steal pieces of my identity.

"Are you fond of her?" she asks.

Leaning my head against the wall of our carriage, I shut my eyes.

"Axelia simultaneously captivates and frustrates me."

A dangerous combination when I consider my emotional trigger. Luckily, frustration isn't something I often feel. Triggering me, takes something perilous getting under my skin. It just so happens that Axelia is audaciously perilous.

Her voice brings me from my thoughts, "Valerio is a burden to Axelia. The man rarely allows her around vampires and nearly forbids her being in your presence. The poor girl's best friend is her head maiden. I hear he won't let her leave the castle except by order of the Court or arranged visits to Cadaekin. Perhaps, your frustration will transpose into compassion after you spend more time with her."

There is a temptation to dwell on my mother's words, but I know doing so will only bring me sorrow. We spent so much time together growing up. I have a tendency to reminisce and then long for Cassius to remove the memories from me as well.

It's a nearly irreversible process and delicate procedure.

Cassius reminds us frequently of what could happen if we reveal to her what happened. She has to remember on her own. Otherwise, her illness could return and take her life.

*****

The clanking of steel swords makes my ears ring an hour after I return to the castle.

"Leonidas, pay attention," Elytis warns as he advances towards me with a strike.

I blink and manage to step out of the way just in time and return with an attack on his blade. The two of us go at it long enough for me to break a sweat before I space out again.

Why would she lie about me being her date? I mean evidently she wants to avoid having to go with Herakles. It's understandable. They end up attending every event together and she's probably sick of him. Perhaps she chose to lie for that reason alone.