Chapter 54: Human?

Prince Leonidas

During the rehearsal dinner, I couldn't keep my eyes off Axelia. It was mostly because of her smile; her joy and excitement about the event, but I also loved the way she averted her gaze every time her eyes wandered my way.

Admittedly, I was quite fond of the dress she wore as well. It was shorter than most she's worn in the past, exposing just enough of her toned physique to make my heart fluctuate. 

While I didn't intend to be so crude in word earlier, I meant everything I said. All week I have dreamt of her, yearned to have her close to me in every possible way.

Can't the wedding be tonight?

"Leonidas, you're not even paying attention," Ely pouts, drawing the attention of all my groomsmen to me as I sit on a log bouncing a leg impatiently.

For my bachelor party, Elytis, King Koa, Prince Herakles, Maynard, and Prince Miliano are spending the rest of the evening at a campsite in the forest between Rerimas and Cadaekin.

The first activity on the agenda is skill training.

"Sorry, go ahead," I encourage him, and he continues to teach us how to best utilize a bow and arrow.

It's his specialty.

Then, Maynard has us practice throwing daggers at targets in the trees. Herakles shows and challenges us to execute proper foot and wrist techniques while handing our swords. Miliano teaches us the benefit of setting traps using nets and ropes. It's something I've never thought to try before so it keeps my attention. As does Koa's lessons on effective camouflage methods.

We all end up coated in sweat, a little bit of blood and a few tears from an occasional hard laugh.

At first, I wasn't sure how the evening would go with such a diverse group of men who aren't well acquainted, but realizing how common our interests are it seems foolish to me now to have ever doubted the group's potential cohesion.

"Your region is full of talent," Miliano compliments as he flops on the ground next to where I stand. "I like your friends. Allies?" Confusing himself his eyebrows furrow.

"Friends," I clarify.

"They're a genuine group of men. You are fortunate," he smiles warmly as his eyes scrutinize them.

I forget he has an intuitive ability to see people for who and what they really are.

"Miliano?" I ask, and he glances up at me. "What does your intuition say about me?"

Normally, I'm not one to care for other's opinions or judgements of my character, but his lacks bias.

"Mostly that you're benevolent," he shrugs. "Despite all you've endured and experienced, your heart would rather bleed than seal itself off. For a vampire, you're exceptionally human."

Human?

That's new.

"Hey, Miliano, I have a question about that rope trick," Ely comes breathlessly rushing over to steal my company.

Our human friends hydrate while they continue exchanging tips leaving Koa to join my side.

"If you'll excuse us, I need to have a few words with our young bachelor," he announces to the others as he drags me away into the trees with an arm over my shoulders.

We haven't spent much time together since he became King of Relabeth, so I'm not surprised he's decided to steal me away.

Growing up, he was the only other Prince in our region I got close to. We have similar personalities and mutual interests which has always led to good conversation.