Chapter 20: Leave Me Alone

Prince Leonidas

Knights escort me into a carriage with a wool blanket draped over my body to shield me from the afternoon sunlight. I will be journeying the rest of the day to the Royal Court's palace. They want to get to the bottom of why I am beginning to burn. 

As always, I can't travel alone. My mother insists a member of the council accompanies me to ensure I don't make any detours along the way. She doesn't trust I won't slip into Cadomia's walls again. 

"We've found Farouk," a guard approaches a window to inform me. "I'll go--"

"No, I'll ask him myself," I cut him off as I pop the door open and step out without the blanket. 

"Your Majesty, please. You're not supposed to--"

"Be silent."

He does as I say and backs out of my way. 

Farouk is helping the men who defend our walls to put up large wooden stakes in case any Ferals were to attempt to climb over onto Kingdom grounds. I wait and observe until he finishes, although he only stops because I've got steam rising off my skin that has drawn attention from his fellow workers.

"Prince," he acknowledges, dipping his head to bow before tilting it with a look of concern.

"I need you to join me on a trip. Will you come or shall I find someone else?" 

He signals for one of the guards to bring him a towel that he uses to wipe his skin free of sweat. Then he towers over me as he heads towards the carriage.

"I'll join you," he says, gently placing a hand on my shoulder to turn me around. "You're burning, let's hurry."

"Its fine," I mutter and brush his hand off, taking my leisurely time despite the boiling pain causing my skin to simmer. 

Raising his eyebrows, he glances at me in surprise, but doesn't say anything else until we are locked inside the heavily shaded carriage. He sits across from me and although I don't look at him I can feel his stare.

"Does it hurt?" he asks.

Shrugging, I lean my head against the wool blanket and close my eyes. 

Our trip will take about six hours since we're taking a carriage as well as a dozen guards. I allow the sound of the horses' hooves to lull me although I don't fall asleep. Even after talking with Alec and taking the longest bath I couldn't sleep through the day either.

My thoughts won't silence. I can't stop wondering about Axelia's future, let alone my own. And while I try to block the temptation to imagine our futures being combined, they come flooding in the moment I let my guard down.

Frankly, it's depressing as Hell. 

"Prince Leonidas," Farouk's gruff voice gets me to barely peek my eyes open. 

It's all I offer to let him know he's got my attention.

"Are you feeling alright?" he expresses his concern, and this is the first time his brooding dark eyes soften since my father's passing. 

He's no guard, so giving him a cold shoulder would only get me in more trouble.

"It doesn't matter," I murmur, closing my eyes again to show him I have no interest in continuing our conversation.

"You remind me so much of King Davian," he adds a few minutes later. "Your Father had one of the biggest hearts, and often got his feelings hurt."

Growling, I sit upright. "I'm in no mood to hear stories about him," I warn. "He's the reason all of this is such a mess for me in the first place."