Chapter 13: Blood or Wine?

Princess Axelia

Gargantuan silver chandeliers suspend from a mountain high ceiling in the main ballroom of the Relabeth castle. They're the first things to catch my eyes as my father escorts me in a descent of a white imperial staircase with glossy purple ribbons weaving along the beams.

Nearly twenty circular tables display a bouche of purple and white roses and are wide enough to seat a dozen people each. My eyes widen as I take in the mass of guests mingling about on the main floor that is glistening silver as though we are walking upon an ocean of glitter.

My father offers a hand to me once we reach the bottom and guides us to the front of the room. There are two tables set before a grand stage with silver table cloths and little name tags poking up for the seating arrangement.

I barely catch sight of the placement of my name beside Leonidas' before my father continues rushing us to where Princess Aiko is laughing and sharing a story with Princess Phaedra and her father.

"Princess, your décor is sumptuous," my father praises as he bows at the waist and kisses the top of her hand.

It isn't until he steps aside for me to offer a greeting that I get a full view of her lavender mermaid gown with white lace bodice and a ruffled skirt. Her deep brown hair is half up in a braid while the rest cascades down her back in curls intertwined with a crystal and pearl beaded hair vine.

"You look absolutely stunning," I gape.

Her pale cheeks redden as she grins and before I can offer her my bow, she yanks me into an embrace.

"Thank you!" she exclaims as she restrains from using too much force in her hug to spare me from broken bones.

Of all the vampire royalty in our region, she is the one I feel least threatened by. She's always been so kind, gentle and compassionate towards me. The woman is pure beauty inside and out.

Even my vampire-hating father can't help but adore her. A simple smile is contagious and when she laughs it makes you feel as though flowers are blossoming around you.

"You look quite gorgeous yourself," she smiles as she leans away from me still keeping my shoulders hostage in her firm grip.

My gown is a tannish-gold with a strapless top that flaunts my form while the waist poufs out under a transparent veil. A long and layered necklace accents my neck while my hair is pulled back into a ponytail full of thick, dark brown waves and curls. A single curly strand from my bangs hangs loose beside my left eye, and my makeup is subtle.

"There is someone who hasn't taken his eyes off of you since the moment you began down the staircase," she leans in a whispers with a soft giggle.

I assume it is Prince Herakles she speaks of. So, I scan the room for a hall with intention to hide away in a bathroom.

That is, until a pair of gracious amber brown eyes hold me captive.

Leonidas stands amongst the other three Princes who are engaging in conversation. His black tuxedo makes his chestnut hair stand out against his lightly tan skin. A white collared undershirt presents a simple black tie that runs down to the button securing the outfit.

To say he looks handsome, wouldn't be much of a compliment to offer. I don't think Leonidas is capable of looking anything less.

My thoughts silence as my father places a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm heading over to congratulate the new King," he says before his gaze also lands upon Leonidas.

To my surprise, he doesn't warn me to have my guard up or mention he will be keeping a close eye on me before he makes his way over. I study the way he approaches the group of Princes, offering handshakes to each and my heart seems to stall as he stands face to face with Leonidas.