Chapter 17: His Name

Princess Axelia

Securing a bathrobe over my nightgown, I rush to my door and pull it open just enough for my father to see my face.
"I'm about to start a bath," I try to speak steadily although his startling visit has left me in a bit of a panic.

If he comes in, who knows what will happen.

His thick, black eyebrows dip in the center of his forehead. "Why have you sent the maid away? I told her to come prepare you for breakfast," with his words I now see he is carrying a tray of food covered by a steel bowl.

"I'm not feeling well," I say and lag with a shrug. Lying to my father is not something I am accustomed to. When he begins to quirk a brow, my heart rate spikes. "It's that time of the month!" I blurt, settling a hand against my lower belly. "I'm bleeding."

His jaw drops slightly as he takes a step back with a grimace.

"For the love of God, Axelia, say no more," he cringes as he thrusts forward the tray of food. "I will let the maids know to leave you be. There should be enough food there to hold you through lunch and I'll have Miss Elysse bring your dinner later."

He's the best.

"Thank you, Father," I grin.

My smile is enough to ease his discomfort as his shoulders recline.

"I will be traveling to Cadaekin this morning, and will probably stay overnight. Would you like me to bring you back anything? I'm sure Prince Herakles won't deny the most expensive of dresses or jewelry to you," he adds.

No surprise there.

"A dress would be lovely," I wearily decide.

Now, he smiles and places a hand over his heart. "My Princess," he beams. "You make your old man proud. Keep this up and you'll be on your way into a marriage which is a matter we should discuss at our next council meeting. Every one of these monthly bleedings is a missed opportunity for you to bare children, you know."

I'm going to be sick.

With his words, he places a hand atop my head as he places a swift kiss on my forehead and then ventures off down the hall. As soon as my door shuts, I secure the lock on it again in case anyone else decides to make a surprise visit.

Turning around, I find Leonidas standing with a shoulder against one of my bed posts. I'm certain color actually drains from my face when I realize he has listened to every word.

"What?" I snap, hoping if I act sassy enough it will deter his judgement.

Unfortunately, it seems his judgement is actually amusement with a smirk tugging at his lips.

"You're a terrible liar."

How dare.

"Am not," I argue stubbornly. "My excuse is true."

To this, he quirks a brow.

"Axelia, you're not bleeding," he assures me. "I would know."

Goodness, for a moment I somehow completely forgot what he is.

"That's shamefully intrusive!" I exclaim, bashful and flustered by the realization he would indeed know.

"Personally, I like the smell," he shares, shrugging in nonchalance before circling a side of my bed and hopping in. "It's more potent than a regular scent. That's how I would be able to tell. As for the taste--" My gasp of disgust and astonishment silence his words, but leaves him in a fit of laughter as he stacks my pillows under his back.