Chapter 50: Incredible

Princess Axelia

Maynard and I pick off members of Cadomian infantry one by one, disarming those who aren't foolish but killing those adamant to get through us.

I've kept my black dagger in its sheath unsure of if it would be able to discern between the two and have been using my regular steel daggers to slash throats and puncture chests.

Getting so close to the men I thought perhaps they might recognize me, but soon realize they have been away from the Kingdom for the past thirteen years my father has spent planning this attack.

Cadomian Calvary men occasionally come at us but are quickly put down by arrows raining from the trees where Elytis and Elysse have positioned themselves.

A soldier falls from his steed after being shot in the head but lands on me. His heavy body and armor pin me to the grassy, snowy, mud-soaked ground. My struggle to get from under him draws the attention of a few soldiers with swords who come rushing at me.

Groaning, I reach for the black dagger at my hip but by the time I have a grip on it a pair off boots land on the ground in front of me.

Leo twirls his black sword around as he patiently awaits for the men to reach us and when they do he beheads and cuts them down in two swipes of his blade.

Perhaps his sword is also made of a feather from his wings. There isn't a dull edge, scratch or single blood stain on the weapon.

He turns to me as I finally slip out from under the fallen soldier and sheaths the sword.

"Are you having fun?" he wonders as I lean against a tree to catch my breath.

I'm nearly coated in blood from head to toe and my arms are starting to ache from the constant combat. If I am injured I wouldn't be able to tell with so much adrenaline coursing through me.

"This--" I pant, "this is nothing," my voice rises in pitch. "I've been training my whole life--" I pant again, "for a war."

I almost wheeze at the end and squint an eye when a mixture of sweat and blood drip down my face.

How awful. I must look and smell absolutely disgust--

"I like this by the way," he smirks, walking up to me and then touching the frizzy ends of my hair with his fingertips. I blush, though I doubt it's visible as his eyes roam over my appearance making goosebumps rise on my neck, and when he lowers his mouth to my ear, I shiver. "Warrior is my favorite style on you, Princess."

His low murmur and close proximity during such a time of high alert stirs an unusual ache-like longing in the pit of my stomach.

I want to kiss him.

Now?

What's wrong with me?

His playful eyes meet my gaze as he tilts my chin up with a finger he faintly smiles as though he's just heard my thoughts.

"Fight me," he suddenly requests, backing away a few steps and leaving my longing unfulfilled.

With narrow eyes, I gawk at him but before I can ask his intention a group of eight men a few trees behind him come heading our way.

So I oblige and draw a silver dagger as I launch at him without holding back. Just like old times he deflects my strikes until the men reach us.

Suddenly, he allows me to trip him though we both tumble to the ground and I land on top of him in a straddle as the four-inch dagger stabs into his left shoulder.

My jaw drops when he merely smirks with a wink and then closes his eyes.

"It's the Prince! You got him!" one of the soldiers rejoices and the eight of them circle around us.