Chapter 26: Reckless Embrace

Princess Axelia

Firm cushion and layers of knitted quilts apply pressure to my wounds through the itchy gauze enough to awaken me. I rise quickly and toss off the blankets before groaning as I lift pieces of the thick white wrapping in an attempt to soothe the indentions in my ashy skin.

It's then that the aroma of toast and eggs draws me from the bed and over to a platter set on a desk by the door to the room.

Even though they brought me a late dinner, my stomach shamelessly grumbles at the sight before I dig my hands into the food shoveling it into my mouth.

Once the platter is void of a single crumb, I exhale a long sigh as I turn to face the dim room.

Royal blue shades cover the two, floor-length windows and no candles are lit. A chill on my skin tells me the fireplace has been put out before my sight can verify.

Rubbing my eyes with my wrists, I blink a few times before taking a look, my heart stopping with my breath at the sight of Leonidas lying stomach down on a long, black cushioned couch in the middle of the room.

He is without a shirt, but his entire abdomen is coated in thick gauze with wine colored stains seeping through the back. His forearms are also wrapped but four puncture wounds in a line along his neck seem to be fading.

Curious, I venture across the room to get a closer view until a dark figure moving like a blur interrupts my stride.

With a frown, I scan the room only to find that nothing has moved.

For all I know, it could have been my own shadow.

I continue forward another step rubbing my eyes again, but when I lower my hands, a boy waist-tall with pale white skin is standing in front of me causing me to jump and place a hand over my mouth to stifle a scream.

"You shouldn't touch him," he warns, narrowing his latge brown eyes.

Where did he come from? How long has he been in here?

"Who are you?"

Based on the way he was moving, he clearly isn't human.

"My name is Alec, your Highness," he gives a curt bow. "I am the head servant of our Prince."

A child?

"Why are you here, now?" I wonder.

I'm also curious as to why Leonidas chose to sleep in here of all places. This is his tower after all. Doesn't he have his own bedroom? Or, did they lie about this being the guest room?

"I came to check on him," he answers. "This isn't where he usually rests and I was worried about him being left alone with you."

"He saved my life last night. Harming him is not something I intend to do," I reply to ease his concern.

Gaze softening, he glances over his shoulder at the Prince and then back to me.

"Harming you will be his every intention if you wake him. He'll do to you as you did to that plate of food over there," he gestures to the breakfast I slaughtered.

My cheeks heat like a flame knowing someone witnessed that but before I can apologize for what he saw, the door cracks open as Elytis peeks his head through.

"Alec, your services are being requested in the throne room," he says, then meets my eyes. "Good morning, your Highness. I have to step away with him for a few minutes. Please, don't leave this room. It's the safest place for you until I return."

I nod as Alec's body becomes a blur only to still when he passes by my empty breakfast platter shaking his head. Then, the two of them leave sealing the door shut behind them.