Chapter 33: Monsters

Princess Axelia

Those most wealthy in our region gather in crowds, filling the grand Cadomian stadium as they await my father's big announcement.

He sits to my left with a grin spread from cheek to cheek in a long gold cape and white suit. Prince Herakles is keeping him in high spirits as they laugh and drink. Herakles, wearing a suit of Cadaekin's bright red and white, is meant to accent my father's attire. The white being symbolic of my purity that they both wear since my gown is of gold and red silk fabrics; in representation of our Kingdoms future unity.

Miss Isidora nearly fainted when I put it on. 

The Royal Court are on their opposite side, going over details of the announcement and setting arrangements for meetings about the impending wedding.

"Would you like to look at some of your gifts?" Miss Elysse asks as she leans forward to catch my gaze. 

We've barely had time to speak since I only arrived a few hours ago. 

"Not really."

This might as well be the wedding itself. Everyone already knows why we are coming together. I even spot my father jokingly setting his crown upon Herakles head. Regardless, our region likes to stick to tradition. There is always an announcement, a private wedding, and then a ball to celebrate. 

"How about just one?" Miss Elysse insists before rising and skipping over to a long table full of elaborately wrapped packages. Some of them shimmer under the beaming sunlight from the pounds of glitter plastered to the wrappings.

Between those and the diamond engagement ring shining in my eyes, I feel I may go blind before they get to the announcements.

"Here!" she grins as she calmly returns with a bouquet of purple, yellow and coral roses and a card. "Someone went out of their way to put this together, Princess. These shouldn't even bloom until spring. Oh, the yellow rose itself is a message that the sender wishes for you to remember them," she gushes. "Who's it from?"

Curious myself, I peel open the black envelope and slip out a small white card.

Princess Axelia,

Thank you
for my first taste of sweet potato pie
My gift is something that once caught your eye
In the bouquet, find a rose blue as the sky
Warrior, be gentle
It is light as a butterfly 
and not easy to come by

Miss Elysse attempts to peer over my shoulder at the card, but I set it face down in my lap as I begin to poke through the bouquet. 

Sure enough, a royal blue rose peeks up at me from its hidden place in the center of the rest. I tug it up only to discover a long, ink-black feather tied to the stem.

Leonidas said I couldn't touch his wings, but I never thought about how they could shed a feather. 

"It looks like birds are getting into the gifts," Miss Elysse ignorantly groans as she scowls at the gift. "I'll have some guards stand by the table."

She rushes away before I get the chance to tell her it's unnecessary, so I just shake my head and smile as I run my fingers along the petal-soft feather. 

No one else notices that I keep the bouquet at my seat with the feather in my lap as my father rises to address the crowd.

He alternates giving speeches with members of the Royal Court to inform citizens of our region of the engagement and all it will entail. 

I try to pay attention, but brushing my fingers through the feather is so pacifying that my mind drifts to a memory of a dream I had last night. 

This gift, the roses, and my dream seem to be alluding to a sensitivity in Leonidas. One that I can't help but feel drawn to and compassionate for.