Chapter 15: Good Night

Princess Axelia

Is he insane?

"Of course I'd use it to kill you," I almost scoff.

We're dates, but that doesn't mean he is any less of a threat. I'm only being friendly because I can't allow anyone to know we've been at each other's throats. My father would be punished for my transgressions.

He gives a half roll of his eyes before twirling me again only to pull me back and dip me so quick, I am short of breath as his arms keep me from hitting the floor.

Even after we have performed a near perfect waltz being this close to him is dizzying.

Perhaps it is his cologne which carries a fig tree aroma, making me think of the masculinity of war, yet is gentle to my senses leaving a calming peace, enchanting like the allure of romance.

"Convince me," he challenges, and I struggle not to stare at his raspberry pink lips or get lost in his glowing, amber brown eyes.

A corner of his mouth tugs his lips into a quaint smirk, making me think he is aware of my inner battle. That is, until he lifts me back up, and I break from his grasp to settle my hands at my hips.

"Convince you that I would?" I question, confused and trying to remember what we were even talking about to begin with.

"No." He slides his hands into his pockets. "Convince me that it's you who wants to--" he trails off, gesturing a stab to his heart, "me and not just your father."

I nibble on my lower lip as I glance down at our feet.

"I'll do whatever it takes to protect my family and my Kingdom," I declare as I meet his eyes again. "Your citizens raid my village and kill innocent people; children," I remind him. "I want to kill you because it will bring back peace to my father and people of Cadomia."

"Axelia, look around you," he gestures an arm to guide my eyes through the sea of people and vampires from each Kingdom who are smiling, dancing, talking, and laughing. "I see peace, now."

Some things can't be forgotten let alone forgiven.

"A monster killed my mother before my eyes and I can't even remember the sound of her voice," I seethe, a pinch of agony stinging my heart. "My father can't breathe every minute I am standing in your presence. He's only a human trying to do what he can to protect against an immortal force with powers and abilities beyond imagination," I explain, giving my best effort not to scream these words in his face. "Is that convincing enough for you?"

He just stares at me for a while but there is no anger or frustration in his eyes. Instead, only sorrow.

No.

Compassion?

His lips part as though he will say something, but then his eyebrows dip, and he swallows his words. Hurt now vibrant in his mositening eyes.
I take a small step towards him although I'm not sure what to say as a feeling of guilt swells in my chest.

Why does he look as though he might cry?

"Leonidas," I begin, but before I'm able to continue he stumbles backwards a few steps before completely vanishing.

For half an hour, I search for the Prince, but there is no sign of him. I do; however, catch sight of his mother as she heads towards the stairwell to leave. Although we lack any kind of a relationship, I find the courage to approach her.

"Queen Ida?" I ask as I run up beside her.

She turns with a look of surprise as she slows her steps.