VIII. Douglas

The next day, after we had our fun and our work is done concerning Regius Obligatus, it was quite common to find Hugo, Alexander and I in Kensington Palace almost every day, either hanging out in the library or doing our shenanigans and whatnot.

We're in the library, current talking about the financial situation, continuing from what was talked about yesterday.

"Hotel businesses will, of course, spread our influences, but restaurant businesses will too," Hugo told us.

"But here's a problem, we need to screen every staff member of those businesses," I pointed out, and Hugo thought for a moment before agreeing.

"Unless they don't know everything, except for the fact that they work for the Crown," Alexander reasoned almost immediately. Hugo and I look at one another, then at Alexander.

"What? It's a simple fact. They know they work for the Crown, but don't know why they work for the Crown. Simple," Alexander continued with his reasoning.

"But... we need to provide them with a reason why they're working for the Crown, not other businesses," Hugo told Alexander. I thought for a moment, coming up for a reason.

"The Crown wishes to invest in English businesses and staff members as the Crown wishes to hear about their wellbeing, building the relationship between the Crown and the people. Hence, people will respect the Crown even more," I suggested, slowly, eyeing Alexander. He stared at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Hugo, write that down," Alexander stated.

Hugo nodded as he wrote it down.

"That... is something," I muttered before clearing my throat, "So, do we just straight up buy restaurants and hotels?"

"Yes. I've made an account in the Bank, under Douglas's name, if you don't mind. All the profit is going in there. So, all in all, we start buying restaurants and hotels," Alexander continued.

"I don't mind," I just blurted out and Alexander nodded.

"Oh, we also need the Head and Deputy Head of Europe," Alexander declared.

Hugo and I looked at one another.

"They are heads of the continents. After all, we do need to have someone represent each continent of the world in meetings," Alexander clarified.

"Ah... Alright," Hugo stated.

"Anyone you recommend?" Alexander asked.

"Not yet. But I can get two of my childhood friends for you to interview," I replied.

"Are you sure they're trustworthy? As in national security trustworthy?" Alexander continued.

"Yes. They are," I replied, understanding why he added the 'national security trustworthy' part in. It all has to do with the game of espionage.

"Good," Alexander commented.

"So back to the restaurants and hotels," I remind Alexander, who nodded.

"So, I made a list of restaurants and hotels that I would recommend. I've notified their owners, so Alexander, if you would please choose the restaurants and hotels, I will notify their owners and sort it out with them," Hugo told Alexander, handing him a list of names of the businesses and owners.

After we were done, I asked Alexander what the job descriptions were of the Head and Deputy of the continent, so I know what to tell my friends.

"The Head oversees all the Heads and Deputies of the Branches, while the Deputies act as a means of communication between the Head of the Continent and the Heads of the Branches, among other things," Alexander replied. I nodded, writing it down.

"So that's it. Horse riding lessons, anyone?" Alexander asked.

"I'm in. Be glad that I have my riding clothes and riding shoes with me," I told Alexander, who would laugh. Hugo rolled his eyes.

"But, do you really must ask us that?" Hugo retorted.

"Then let's go," Alexander stated, ignoring the retort.

The three of us would then make our way to the range after tidying everything up, spending the rest of the day there.