LXXXI. Hugo

Monday, 31st August 1936

Dear Diary,

Throughout the summer, I would tune in to the Berlin Olympics through the radios and the newspapers, and of course, that only lasted for a period of time. Yet, the majority of the summer consists of me being worried like hell about Alexander's courtship with Charlotte. Even I - his best friend - doesn't know what he is planning, neither does Winston, and a dozen other people. It really does take a turn. One moment, he's lovey-dovey about Isabelle, and the next, he just stops drooling over Isabelle, becoming cold towards mentions of her. I mean... What made him have the sudden change and turn towards Isabelle?

Colette, Isabelle and I have been in contact, every single day, whether it is through the telephone or the letters. Communicating with Colette allows me the situation in regards to the courtship between Isabelle and Victor. Meanwhile, communicating with Isabelle allows me to know her feelings for Alexander, and to tell her of the situation of the courtship here.

Everything is just a whirlwind these past few months since Alexander's uncle became King. I'm not entirely sure how this has greatly affect Regius Obligatus as a whole, but, King George V's death has... somehow started the process of chaos for Alexander. Everything just seems wrong, coming from an old friend of his. He doesn't seem to justify his actions as much as he used to, and he doesn't - to a certain extent – care about the consequences of his actions. He is building a cold shell of himself, surrounding himself with self-loathe, among other emotions, as if to protect himself from harm. But... harm from what or who?

I have never been this worried for Alexander before. There were some close calls in the past, yes, but not to the great extent now... His father, Winston and I share the same view, of course. It just doesn't make sense. I walked a mile in his shoes, three times a day, every single day since April 14th and... I couldn't crack inside his own head. I have plenty of questions, and Alexander is just... blind and deaf to me being clueless and useless as heck.

Anyway, I have to go and get some sleep. It's been a long day, and I have been mentally exhausted myself. But I do wonder, how can one mentally exhaust oneself after an extremely day. I think Alexander has the answer to that, but I need to ask him.

-Hugo

P.S. I have decided to join Alexander, serving the United Kingdom in Palestine.