LXXX. Isabelle

Thursday, 16th April 1936

When Alexander didn't come nor did he send a letter explaining why he was late, I was getting a tad bit more frustrated as time goes on. It's just barely noon and I am just getting a tad bit more annoyed as the minutes and hours goes by. The day just goes on, and each hour takes a toll on me, as I start to question if Alexander is and will always be the one.

"He isn't coming, isn't he?" I asked bleakly, staring out of the window, then looked at Mother.

"I'm sorry, Isabelle, but he did send you this," Mother replied, handing me a small box. I'd sigh, taking it. I opened it to see a book and a note. I set the book aside, and held onto the note, as I read it.

Dear Isabelle, Please accept my most sincere apologies for I am not able to attend your birthday party today. From now on, our friendship must come to an end. Two days ago, I started courting the Princess of Sweden at the request of my uncle, His Majesty, King Edward VIII. Hence, I must fulfil my duty as the Duke of Cambridge, for I am duty-bound to do so. I do hope you understand since we are both members of Royal families. You understand the value of the duty to serve in which I have. I put the duty to serve the United Kingdom above all else, even love. Once more, please accept my most sincere apologies.Sincerely, Alexander, Duke of Cambridge

I just stared at the note, in total disbelief, greatly doubting my feelings for him ever since I met him almost eleven years ago. Then I immediately set off to my room, with Mother following me, seemingly worried about me. I felt tears in my eyes as I had forgotten the book - Alexander's present - in the library. I opened the door of my room, walked in, and closed it behind me. I locked it, before turning, and just immediately sat down onto the floor, with my back against the door, crying. I ignored everything, as it just hurts.

'Why now?' I thought.

Saturday, 2nd May 1936

Currently wearing a ball gown, I made my way to the dining hall, knowing that dinner will be served before entertainment. After Alex and my friends had come to an end, last month, I was a fool to believe that I fell for him. On his 15th birthday, I did not send a present, nor a note, as I left that chapter of my life, and simply yet gracefully set foot into a new chapter.

Today, the Norwegian Royal Family came for a state banquet, and I am being courted by the Norwegian Prince Victor. I sat next to Victor and smiled. Soon the banquet started. Victor and I would talk to one another, laughing with one another. It felt so normal, considering I'm just talking to Victor about random topics, and we would get to know more about one another.

But I do miss conversations with Alexander if truth be told.

May slowly gives way to June, and I am happily in a courtship with Victor. But, both of us have confessed to one another, or more Victor, about our feelings about one another. Victor said that he has no feelings for me and that he is doing this courtship with me because he is obliged to and it is his duty.

Which... Just reminds me of Alex. I inwardly cry as I try to repress the tears that threaten to leave me.

With that, we both made up our minds, and just do our courtship until Alex and Charlotte break off their courtship because Victor and I both have reasons to believe that they are doing just the same thing as us: out of respect and duty to the Crown, the four of us have taken up the mantle of our duties.