LVI. Antoine

Thursday, 15th February 1934

Dear Diary, 

I have received a letter from my granddaughter yesterday, considering yesterday was Valentine's Day. According to her, there is a tradition between my granddaughter, and Alexander, where they would visit one another on their birthdays and Valentine's Day. But ever since they are learning together, Alexander is taking the charge for Valentine's Day, and birthday celebrations. It is a balance, as the tradition would continue until the future. With this in mind, it is baffling that the fact that they are willing to do anything for one another, Alexander especially, where it quite explicitly shows that they are in love with one another. I doubt that either of one of them realizes that they are. 

Observing the two from afar, King George V and I have allied with one another, reinforcing the Entente Cordial that I have made with his father thirty years ago. With an eye on the future, George and I have decided to say yes if any of them would approach either one of us to ask the other's hand in marriage. I have a gut feeling that Alexander will ask me for Isabelle's hand in marriage, considering he would see that it is his duty in carrying it out.

 -Antoine

Wednesday, 1st March 1934

Dear Your Majesty, 

I am writing a letter to you to ask a question. I know that either a telegram or a phone call would suffice in asking you a simple question. My question is, what would Isabelle like for her birthday? I have been asking around, especially those who know her well. Besides sending letters to her parents, I know that you and your granddaughter are quite close. 

Sincerely, 

Alexander, Duke of Cambridge

Wednesday, 1st March 1934

Dear Alexander, 

I am glad that you have reached out to me in terms of Isabelle's birthday, and yes, I am made aware of the tradition that you and Isabelle have every year since you have both met, which is almost a decade ago. But do not fret, young man, for I have not opposed you of doing so. For your question, it is best that you would create something yourself, and give it to her as a birthday present, Alexander. But, with this answer, it is just confirming what you have done, all these years, isn't it? 

Sincerely, 

King Francois I of France

Wednesday, 1st March 1934

Dear Your Majesty,

You are indeed correct, sir. I hope you don't mind if I am just confirming what I know, sir. 

Sincerely, 

Alexander, Duke of Cambridge

Wednesday, 1st March 1934

Dear Alexander,

I wouldn't mind. 

Sincerely, 

King Francois I of France

I would be in the dining hall, with Marie, Catherine and my son-in-law, Christian. We were all having our dinner until Catherine brought up Alexander.

"I hear that Alexander is asking around for Isabelle's favourite presents," Catherine said, "Did he run out of ideas?"

"No. He just needs something to be confirmed as he already planned it, alongside getting it ready. He just needs to double-check," I replied bluntly - as if it was a tad bit obvious - before I took another bite.

 "Father, do you approve of Alexander?" Christian asked me, with a slightly curious tone. I looked up to find that everyone was looking at me.

"Yes, of course, I do," I replied, "Why?" 

 "It seems like I am not the only one after all," Christian replied, having a tugging smile as he looked at Catherine, who rolled her eyes as she continued to eat. Marie and I wouldn't bother getting into their heads at this point, considering there are more important things to think about.