Chapter 16: the settlement

(eddies pov)
When we both calm down, my curiousness about the subject matter comes back to me.

"Look Richie, you don't have to tell me, but if there's something going on, you can let me know." I said with worry. I tried my best to comfort him. Something was wrong, I just didn't know what. That past event kept replaying in my head. "At least you parents that care!" What does that even mean???

"It's kind of hard to talk about..." he said, "I've never told anyone-"

"Well you can tell me." I cut him off and I grabbed his hand giving it a slight squeeze. He glanced down at our hands touching and his cheeks got a little flushed. He looked away and continued talking
"I just- your mom- and my mom and dad-" he said, his voice was breaking. I had no idea what the hell he was trying to say, but I knew that it wasn't easy to get out. I scooted over next to him on the log he was sitting on and I wrapped my arm around his shoulder.
He nestled his head against my shoulder.
"Your mom may be annoying to you...but my parents don't even acknowledge me..." he said, his voice still shaking, "it's like I never existed to them, like they don't want me around, and..." he stopped for a second and turned to me. He looked me in the eye and said "that the worst feeling in the world to me, to feel like I don't belong..." he broke into a sob. "I just wanna be loved." He said and collapsed into my arms.
I brushed his hair out of his face and stroked it. I didn't even really have to say anything through that whole conversation. I just had to comfort him. Actions speak louder than words I guess. Eventually he stops crying. He looks up at me. I look at him with sympathy.
"I'm sorry I had no idea-" I attempted to say before he cut me off.

"Thankyou." He said.

"For what...?" I asked confused.

"For understanding" he replied.

"Of course." I said. I grabbed his hand again. We both looked at it for a quick second and then locked eyes with each other.

:)