↘︎ chapter forty-two

42 | The big fight between Fred, George and Marley

Until the month of May, absolutely nothing interesting was happening. Marley Маcmillan was still learning about her OWLs, but finally finding time to go out with her friends, and now after going out with George Weasley. During their visits to Hogsmeade, they wanted to be alone for a while, but Fred Weasley, like Marley's boyfriend's twin brother, did not allow this. He was always a third wheel, but in no way he was feeling uncomfortable. Like they were still the three best friends (and they were with the exception two of them were dating), and nothing had changed.

On April 1st, when the twins turned seventeen, Marley and Lina had crept into the Hogwarts kitchen and asked the house-elves to help them make cake and sweets. Seeing them, the girl remembered the days when Hermione had a campaign called S.P.E.W., which fought for rights over house-elves. She even sold badges for two sickles and tried to sell them on everyone. Marley had bought one, but only because Hermione would leave her alone after that.

And on Marley's sixteenth birthday, which was April 30, the boys gave her a lot of sweets from Honeydukes, but not before they pranked her. And it was mostly Fred. He had taken all of George's T-shirts (just left one or two) and put them in Marley's suitcase, and she had to wear his clothes all day, which were quite wide but surprisingly comfortable.

Now she was having breakfast with Angelina Johnson and Lee Jordan at the Gryffindor table. She was finishing her homework on History of Magic and was half ready with her breakfast, consisting of toast, milk and eggs. However, Fred and George were nowhere to be seen and she had no idea where they were. They never missed the opportunity to eat well at breakfast or at any time. Why were they now? Had they overslept? But it wasn't in their style. And she had started to worry a little about them when Lee spoke to her:

"Don't be so upset, Marley. Your boyfriend is not dead."

"Say that again and your eyes will have a new friend." Marley looked at him cautionary. "It's called a silver fork and it's really sharp. I hope you'll get on well, because you won't be able to see after I stick it in your face."

"You sound more badass than before." Lina stated, swallowing the piece of toast she had bitten a few moments ago. Marley simply looked at her best friend and shrugged.

"No, I've always been acting like this. You just haven't noticed."

"George changed you. For good." Lee was in a hurry to finish his sentence, feeling scared of Marley. It seemed the girl was in a bad mood, but it was only because her monthly period had come yesterday and she had woken up with awful cramps, that still continue to make her feel uncomfortable.

"Sorry, Lee. I was too sharp." the girl apologized and focused on her History of Magic homework. Lee replied that it was okay and they stayed in silence for a while.

"Hey, Marley." the sixteen-year-old girl heard a familiar voice and saw her half-brother Harry Potter, standing next to her on the bench. He was smiling but something seemed off. There was oppression in his green eyes and the girl licked her lips, wondering what could have happened. "Can I ask you something? Well, Fred and George seem weird in the past weeks..."

That was true. There was something bothering the Weasley twins, but everytime Marley was raising up the topic, George was saying nothing was wrong and they were just planning some stuff for their joke shop. But Marley had known Fred and George well enough to know they were lying.

"... and I thought that you may know what was going on." Harry finished his thought, but because of Marley's daydreaming, she missed everything he had said.