Prolouge

𝚃𝚎𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚎, 𝟷𝟿𝟸𝟹

Some might call it golden hour

Some might call it golden hour. The sun fell behind the clouds leaving tinted sky behind. A tint that could only be compared to the rich, golden wheat which farmers grew. A single plane remained in the air, flying low over the crops, releasing a red powder from its belly. It flew over the edge of the crop field, barely making it over the single farmhouse.

Within the farmhouse, a makeshift plane took up most of the space. Composed of a bicycle, old pipes and propellers, and few playing cards. Two young boys around the ages of 8 and 9 pretended to maneuver the plane in the sky. They pretended to fly above the trenches of World War One. Taking a sharp right turned the imaginary plane took down three German's in one shot.

The little boy in the front of the make-shift plane pretends to press the buttons drawn on the board in front of him. The boy in the back leaned forward.

"It's spelt wrong, Rafe." The boy leaned over and wiped the chalk off the wood. "'Rudder is spelled with two d's."

Rafe, the boy in the front of the plane nodded silently before returning to making airplane noises with his mouth. The boy in the back turned around and grabbed the make-shift machine gun and pretended to shoot, letting the sound of flying bullets leave his mouth.

"Good shootin, Danny." Rafe complemented.

The boys continued to play their rendition of World War II but were interrupted by the sound of a landing plane. The propeller sputtered to a stop and a tall, lean man jumped out. The boys abandoned their make-shift plane to examine the real one.

"Great flyin', Dad!" Rafe called.

The man gave a thumbs up, then he grabbed two cans of fuel and ran to the nearby house. As soon as he was out of sight Rafe and Danny exited the barn and ran to the parked plane.

"I'm gonna teach you how to fly," Rafe said as he neared the plane.

"I get the front!" Danny yelled as he climbed in the plane.

"No!" Rafe objected.

"I'm bigger so I should get the front."

"Well, I'm older and I'm teaching" Rafe pushed Danny to the back as he spoke.

The boys boarded the plane and Rafe pretended to prepare for take off while Danny looked around the inside of the plane in awe.

"Wow, it's like we could really fly!"

"Yeah, my dad and I do it all the time." Rafe bragged as he looked down at the switches. "Alright, give me some throttle. We gotta get those dirty German bandits."