180 Days Before

𝙾𝚗𝚎 𝙼𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚑 𝙻𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛

𝙾𝚗𝚎 𝙼𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚑 𝙻𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛

The past month had been a blur. Evelyn would escape every morning and spend most of the day at the beach when the girls weren't needed at the hospital. Otherwise, she tried to remain her happy, cheerful self. Every night June would hear Evelyn cry but couldn't bring herself to comfort her, scared that her tears would fall. June hadn't seen Danny since Rafe's memorial.

Without Rafe, the days seemed to flood into each other. It felt as only a week had passed since June had received the news. The sunset was blurred and June threw herself into her work. Her feelings for Danny hadn't faded, in fact, they were still strong and boiling in her stomach but she had learned to focus on other things. She wanted to give Danny the time he needed and since she was the worst as comforting people when they were low she sought to distance herself from everyone she cared about.

Sandra, Barbara, and Betty and managed to drag June out of the house to see a showing of Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator, referring to Hilter himself. June was dreading watching a World War II movie but went with her friend anyways.

The theatre was filled with sailors, pilots, nurses, and other military personnel. June distracted her mind by smiling and laughing with her friend but she barely made it through the first five minutes of the movie. The words she couldn't watch the planes fly over Europe without thinking of Rafe, it was too much. She tore her eyes from the screen and excused herself.

Outside the warm light filled June's eyes and she sighed.

"June!" She heard a familiar accent from behind her.

June turned around.

"Danny." She said as she came to a stop. "It's been a while."

Danny sighed as he shoved his hands in his pocket.

"Yeah, I've been starting to log a lot of flight hours."

June nodded.

"I've kinda been avoiding you too."

They both smiled at each other.

"Look, um, I felt like there was something between us," Danny said unsurely.

June looked up at him and blushed.

"Don't melt too soon, Danny Walker." She smiled.

"Would you want to-" Danny gestured to the selection of restaurants across the street.

June nodded. They sat down at a table next to the window. She sipped on a chocolate milkshake while Danny finished his meal.

"You know, I remember this one time, when I was like seven years old, I was always building these gadgets and things. Rafe told me he wanted me to build him some wings so that he could fly." Danny started as he wiped his mouth.