178 Days Before

The entire hospital was quiet

The entire hospital was quiet. Since all the men were doing basic training and preparation rarely anyone got hurt. The girls found themselves sitting around the hospital for days on end some days the head nurses would give them the day off because there was simply nothing to do. Sandra was sitting at a desk with an open book reading. Barbra, Betty, and June were huddled around a bed that had a white blanket with a red cross in the middle folded nicely over the top. They were all talking softly as not to disturb Sandra.

"Did you have fun last night?" Betty asked.

"We saw you sneak out before dusk," Barabra added.

"It wasn't how it looked." June blushed.

"So you didn't sneak out to see Danny?" Barabra pried.

June looked up.

"Maybe." She said as she bowed her head in embarssment.

All of a sudden Betty's face lit up.

"Finally!" Barabra gasped.

"What did you do?" Betty asked in excitement.

"Nothing, just," June thought of what had happened the night before and her cheeks turned read.

"You did not!" Betty gasped catching on to June.

"You had sex with Danny!" Barabra jumped up and looked up June.

"Shhhh, the entire island doesn't need to know, Barabra." June whispred as she pulled Barabra back down to the bed.

"Was it everything you imagined?" Betty asked leaning forward.

June got wuiet and looked down.

"That's the thing. I never imagined being this close to Danny." The girls were taken back. "I mean, it was... amazing and all and it seemed like we just fit so well together, but there is still something lurking in the back of my mind."

"It's alright." Sandra looked up from her book. "It's been months it's time to move on."

"That's what Eve said." June looked at Sandra. "She thinks that Rafe would be happy for us, but I know my brother and he always seemed to push Danny and I apart."

"Look, even if he was here Rafe can't be made at you for liking Danny." Barabra said as she placed a hand on June's knee.

June sighed as she looked down.

"When my dad left I was too much for my mom to handle so she sent me to live with my aunt." Betty started as she leaned against the bottom of the bed frame. "I thought my life was over, but you don't know where it's all gonna lead. If I hadn't had run away and lied about my age and enlisted in the Navy I wouldn't have met Red. I still wonder that if my mom had kepy me would things be so different or would I still have met Red."

Betty looked amung the girls.

"What I'm saying is that I think you and Danny are some sort of soulmates, June. And you're destinied to met your soulmate despite what your brother thinks." Betty sighed. "Red is my soulmate and now, Red is my fiance." Betty gigled. "Gosh, I can't get used to that word.