7:40am

June turned onto her side and squeezed her eyes shut as she heard the familiar sound of planes overhead

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

June turned onto her side and squeezed her eyes shut as she heard the familiar sound of planes overhead. She rolled onto her side and let her arm hit the ground. Last night, after Evelyn had convinced June to go home and not chase after Rafe and Danny, the two girls had fallen asleep on the wicker couches in the screened-in porch. The familiar sound whizzed by again and June moaned.

"What is the Navy doin' this early on a Sunday?" She groaned as she squinted her eyes open.

Evelyn rolled over on her couch. June stretched her arms and sat up as another plane whizzed by only this time she caught an unfamiliar color on the wing of the plane. She walked towards the window and looked up at the bright blue sky.

"Evelyn..." She started unsurely.

Evelyn groaned in response. June spotted the color on another plane. The giant red circle painted over the wing.

"Evelyn!" She shouted as she ran to the girl and she shook the girl's arm.

Evelyn shot up and looked at June.

"What?" She asked through a groggy voice.

June grabbed Evelyn's arm and pulled her outside. She rubbed her eyes as the early morning sun blinded her. Evelyn looked up at the sky as a bundle of planes flew over them.

"June, I don't think those are Navy planes."

Evelyn and June circled each other as they watched the unfamiliar planes whiz overhead. They couldn't peel their eyes from the planes that flew over them. June turned her back to the harbor and looked up at the incoming planes.

"They look like Jap-"

June's words were cut off by a loud boom. Her heart skipped a beat and she quickly turned to face the harbor. Evelyn had her hands over her mouth and her eyes had grown wide.

Plumes of smoke reached high towards the blue sky. A large fire had erupted on at least three of the ships. Betty and Sandra ran out of the house buttoning their shirts as they stood behind June and Evelyn. June froze as she watched the horrid scene.

The girls around her seemed to freeze as they watched the smoke reach for the sky. The screams echoed throughout the harbor. Explosions erupted on land and on ships. Nothing stopped, bomb after bomb fell from the Japanese planes flying above.

"Everybody to the hospital!" Evelyn yelled.

The girls around followed Evelyn's order and took off towards the hospital, but June didn't move. She couldn't. The men on those ships. Countless men had just been thrown overboard, bursting into flames. Her eyes flooded with tears, nothing had prepared her for this. No amount of training or practice.

"June!" Betty's voice was the only clear sound.

Yet, June didn't move. The tears flooded her vision and all she could see was a blur of smoke and fire. A blur of sheer chaos and pain. Betty quickly grabbed June's arm and pulled her away from the view of the harbor.

ICARUS {d.w}जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें