61 Days After

The recovery of Pearl Harbor had been fairly rapid

The recovery of Pearl Harbor had been fairly rapid. The attack had occurred two months ago and within that short period of time most of the people had recovered. Of course, there was still empty chairs when loved ones were meant to be.

The girls went back to their fairly normal routine, only this time there was much more to be done at the hospital. June rarely saw Danny during the day and when she did see him it was late at night or on Sunday mornings. She hadn't spoken to Rafe in about a month. If she did see him it was just a casual hello, but no one could've guessed that they were siblings. Evelyn spent most of her time with Rafe. The rest of the girls distracted themself with their work. The house was quiet without Betty's constant laughter.

"Do you think it will ever be the same?" June asked she leaned into Danny's chest.

The two were sitting on a bench that overlooked the harbor. They tried their best to somewhat avoid Rafe on account of not upsetting him, but they still loved each other.

"Eventually," Danny said as he looked down at June.

The streets had finally been cleared o debris. The hospital had organized it patients and supplies. The only thing left was the harbor. The Arizona was still submerged underwater and no one was planning on bringing it out. Most of the ships had been removed and the docks repaired.

"Have you seen Rafe lately?" June asked as he looked up at Danny.

He shook his head.

"He'll come around." He responded quietly.

June sighed as she looked back out at the harbor.

"I hope he does."

Danny leaned back and brushed a strand of hair from June's pale face. He slowly placed his hand on June's growing stomach.

"Three months." She said as she placed her hand on his. "Six more to go."

Danny smiled as he looked up at June.

"June, I want this to last."

He spoke quickly and softly. June looked up at him.

"Then don't get shipped off to some fancy country." She smiled

"I want this to last forever. June, I am utterly in love with you."

June let her smile grow wider as she swiftly leaned up to kiss Danny.

"Look, I don't have a ring or-"

"I would marry you right here if I could, Danny." She whispered as she pulled away.

Danny smiled and leaned in to kiss her again. His hand never left her bulging stomach.

"Lieutenant Daniel Walker." A voice echoed behind them.

Danny quickly pulled away and stood up. He saluted to the nearing officer and placed his hands behind his back. June turned around to look at the man.

"You're going stateside." He said sternly. "Fly out in two days."

June looked up at Danny as a confused look spread on his face.

"What for, sir?"

"Ask Colonel Dolittle." The man handed Danny a slip of paper and swiftly walked away.

Danny quickly read the small slip. He looked down at June.

"Danny?" She asked as she stood up and looked over his shoulder.

"They're sending me to Florida." Danny took a breath. "Rafe's name is on here too."

Her confused expression softened as Danny turned to her. She quickly wrapped her arms around his neck as she felt the tears pricking at the back on her eyes.

✰✰✰

The sun was starting to set as June walked through the small town. She walked past women selling fruits and vegetables. The town was small and quiet. She had never really visited it. June's shoes clicked on the concrete as she walked. She stopped in front of a small house where she saw Rafe inside. She slowly walked up to it and stopped in the doorway. Rafe looked over at her.

"You're packing." She stated as she looked down at the suitcase.

Rafe folded a shirt and just looked at her.

"Orders," he said bluntly. "I assume Danny told you."

June nodded her head slowly. She took a shaky breath.

"I, uh, can't find Danny."

Rafe looked up at her as she stuffed a shirt in the suitcase.

"Is that why you're here? Lookin' for Danny." Rafe grabbed a book and placed it on top of the clothes. "Probably sayin' goodbye to his squadron.

June grabbed a pair of pants and folded them for Rafe.

"You've never folded right." She said as she placed them in the bag. "Daddy always hated that."

Rafe looked up at her as he zipped the suitcase.

"I'm not looking for Danny." She took a shaky breath as Rafe stood up. "I couldn't have you go away without you understanding something."

Rafe slowly nodded his head.

"Well, you don't have to explain anything to me."

"I do because you're acting like you never saw this coming."

Rafe froze as he looked at her. He tore his eyes away from her and looked out the window.

"June, you love hard. Danny, he can't handle that. He'll be your downfall."

June shook her hand.

"You're wrong. You're wrong about Danny. He finally knows who he is. So, you don't get to blame him. I fell in love with him, I love him. I didn't choose that, Rafe, and you should know that better than anyone."

Rafe shook his head again.

"I should've died over there. When I was in that water I made a deal with God. I asked him to keep you safe and I promised I'd never ask for anything again. Now, he didn't do it the way I wanted him to, but you're safe." Rafe sighed. "I'm gonna stand by my end of the deal. I'm gonna walk away and never ask for anything again. But, I just wanna know why."

"Rafe, I'm pregnant," June said as she placed a hand on her stomach.

Rafe looked down and for the first time, he noticed the small bump growing. He left out a sigh as he tears fell down his cheek. At that moment, he knew that there was nothing wrong here. In fact, he wasn't mad that his sister was pregnant. Since he was a child he knew that Danny and June were somehow destined. He was just so scared that Danny would ruin her that he knew he couldn't let that happen. Rafe looked back up June's eyes. There was something calming about the thought of his best friend and sister having a child. Something that felt right about it.

"Rafe, all I ever wanted was to follow you around the world, but life never asked me what I wanted. So, I gave Danny my whole heart and I'm going to continue to do that. But, you're still my brother whether you approve or not."

June sighed as she turned away from her brother. Leaving him staring into the golden sunset.

 Leaving him staring into the golden sunset