300 Days Before

𝙿𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚕 𝙷𝚊𝚛𝚋𝚘𝚛, 𝙷𝙸 ✰ 𝙵𝚎𝚋𝚛𝚞𝚊𝚛𝚢 𝟷𝟿𝟺𝟷

The air was crisp and much less fridged than the cold New York winds had been

The air was crisp and much less fridged than the cold New York winds had been. The sun shined through the cloudless sky leaving every man and woman with tinted skin. The bay was lined with numerous battleships, various planes flew above. The water was almost clear as it reflected every moment nature made.

The four nurses, plus a few new members, were decked out in sun hats, sunglasses, and leis. June gripped her suitcase with one hand as the other clung to Evelyn's arm.

"This is so exciting." She gasped as she took in the beautiful sight.

Ever since Rafe had left June had been different. It was almost like a weight had been lifted off of her, but that wasn't true. In fact, June was heavier than she had ever been. She hid that weight behind excitement and joy for the upcoming future. Pearl Harbor was full of opportunities and June was wide open to them.

Evelyn, on the other hand, had become a closed book. Sure, she was still her cheerful self and she was excited for the opportunities waiting in Hawaii but ever since Rafe had left a week ago she enclosed herself in her room every night at 8 o'clock.

"You know, there are about a hundred ships on Pearl," Sandra said looking up from her book.

"How many sailors per ship?" Betty asked.

"It depends between a battleship and a sub but let's say on average 2,000."

"Yeah, but then the flyers, marines, base personnel," Barabra added.

"I'm still workin' on the sailors." Betty laughed.

"And what about Red?" Sandra asked as she references Betty's newfound pilot boyfriend.

Betty blushed at the sound of his name.

"Girls I think that odds are in your favor," Evelyn stated breaking her silence.

"Yeah, like 4,000 to 1," Barbra commented.

"It's paradise!" Betty said as she jumped up and down and placed her sunglasses on her face.

Barbra waved to the sailors on the deck of the passing ship. Then she turned and looked at the girls.

"We're in Hawaii!"

Barbra continued to wave at the passing boys as the rest of the girls grabbed their items and headed onto the mainland. Barbra ran to catch up with her friends.

"So," She drew out her o as she neared June. "How are things with Mr. Walker?"

June turned towards Barbra.

"Barb, just because Rafe is off at war doesn't mean that I'm all of a sudden going to get cozy with Danny," June said as she handed Barbra her suitcase. "Besides you should focus on gettin' yourself a man."

Betty sighed but before she could reply her eyes fell on the house. June stopped and looked at the small house in front of her. It was small and it had a shabby screened in porch around the front but it was beautiful. The front view of the house looked out across Battleship Row and the harbor. The inside was all white and assortments of creams. White wicker furniture was littered all around the house.

The bedrooms were two girls per room and each bed had a hanging mesh cloth above it. Each bed had its designated color. Evelyn and June took the first room which was green. The room decorated with lime green through forest green. Sandra and Betty took the next room which had assortments of blues and Barbra roomed with a new nurse that claimed she was from Kansas in the room with assortments of yellow.

"Ladies!" A voice echoed through the house. "We gotta be at the hospital in ten minutes."

Evelyn and June dropped their suitcases in their small bedroom and met the other women outside. A short staircase was placed just inside the porch door. June descended down the stairs and followed the other girls to the nearby hospital.

The new one was amazing. Far different from the familiar fields of Tennesse and the big city mentality of New York. Everything was wide open but just close enough together. The landscape was all ocean and white beach. Rocky cliffs lined every beach and little coves were placed around the island.

The hospital was small but had everything a nurse could need. The first room was filled with a row of beds and the next two were filled with offices and desks. Overall, there were four long halls ways with rows of beds and two halls with rows of desks. The girls gathered by the main entrance. Once everyone was accounted for they entered.

"Isn't this amazing." Betty jumped up and down. "Our new home for the next few months."

Betty stood in awe at the white hospital. June had to drag her into the next room.

"Welcome ladies." A warm voice said from across the room.

"Hi!" All the girls responded.

A short woman was leaning over a man who was laying on his stomach. She folded a blanket over his back.

"I have to deal with Cozies sunburn trunk before I can show you around."

The girls wandered into the next room. For the first time in a week, June's mind wandered to Rafe. She hadn't heard from him, yet. She wondered where he was, what it was like. She looked up at the setting sun and its gold tint. She remembered the farm she had grown up on and her mind drifted to the simpler times.

"June." Evelyn's soft voice spoke.

June snapped her head away from the window.

"Come on." Evelyn linked her arm with June's and they walked the rest of the touring side by side.

" Evelyn linked her arm with June's and they walked the rest of the touring side by side