30 Days Before

"June, can you please come out of the bathroom?!" Evelyn called from her bedroom

Barbara was sitting on June's bed reading a magazine.

"What you got a date to get ready for?" Barbara asked, looking up from the magazine.

Evelyn blushed.

"No," Barbara started.

"I mean it's been six months, Barb."

Barbara jumped up from the bed and danced around Evelyn.

"Who is he? What are you wearing? Can I pick out your outfit?" She rattled off.

"You can help me choose," Evelyn said quietly.

Barbara ran to the closet without a word and pulled out a red dress.

"June seemed to have pretty good luck with this one." She giggled.

Evelyn sighed.

"It's just a casual dinner." She objected. "I'm not quite sure I'm ready for all of that."

Evelyn took the dress from Barbara and set it on the bed. Barbara turned back to the closet and pulled out a silk light blue dress. Evelyn looked up and quickly nodded her head.

"That's the one."

"Okay, now we just have to get June out of the bathroom," Barbara said as she walked to the door. "June, you've been in there for an hour."

There was no response.

"June!" Evelyn called again.

"What ya tryin' to do look like me?" Barbara added.

The doorknob rattled and June stood in the doorway. She covered her mouth with her hand and held her stomach.

"You okay?" Evelyn asked.

June looked up.

"June?" Barbara grabbed her arm.

June's face was pale and she had dark bags under her eyes. She walked backwards and leaned against the wall.

"I, uh," June stuttered. "I just feel sick."

June slid down the wall and sat on the cool tile floor. Evelyn sat down next to June and rubbed her back. June leaned into her shoulder. Barbara joined the girls on the floor.

"Do you want me to call Danny?"

June looked up and shook her head quickly. She pulled her legs into her chest and rested her chin on her knees. Barbara brushed a piece of hair out of her.

"You look like you've seen a ghost, June." She said as she ran her finger along June's pale face.

"June, you look really sick." Evelyn stated. "I think that we should call Danny."

June looked over and Evelyn and shook her head again.

"I think I'm pregnant." She whispered.

A small smile swept on to Evelyn's face. June looked up at her.

"Oh, don't look so happy!" June laughed.

Evelyn laughed as she pulled her friend into a hug.

"You beat all of us to it." Barabra remarked as she put her arms around June.

Evelyn pulled away.

"June, you know Danny is going to be beyond excited."

June nodded her head.

"You seem unsure." Evelyn continued as she looked at June.

June picked up her head and looked at Evelyn.

"I know, I just want to be sure." She sighed. "I don't want to get his hopes up..."

"He loves you, June." Evelyn smiled as she placed a kiss on the girls head. "He deserves to know."

June sighed as she knew Evelyn was right.

"Just one more month, just to be sure." June hesitated. "I mean, we haven't even had the conversation about kids or much less getting married."

Barabra leaned towards June and whispered in her ear.

"That man would marry you in a heartbeat, but that's just based on the way he looks at you."