210 Days After

𝙹𝚞𝚕𝚢 𝟷𝟿𝟺𝟸

𝙹𝚞𝚕𝚢 𝟷𝟿𝟺𝟸

June walked along the chain-link fence, dragging her hand beside her. Evelyn was a few steps ahead of her. Both girls were filled with anxiety. June rounded the corner and rested her hands on her stomach. Her baby bump had grown as she was due in about a month. Evelyn grabbed June's hand as the side of the small plane opened. Evelyn's grip tightened. The two girls were surrounded by wives and children awaiting the return of husbands.

The first man stepped out. Every once and a while a smile would spread across women's face as her eyes landed on her husband. The women around them slowly dispersed as more and more men came off the plane.

Rafe slowly ducked her head out of the plane. The rising sun made his hair look golden. A huge smile spread across Evelyn's face as she let go of Junes hand. June smiled as she followed Evelyn forwards, towards her brother. Rafe turned around and helped the men behind him.

June stopped as he heels scraped against the concrete. She watched as Rafe turned around and support a wooden coffin with his free hand. Her hand flew to her mouth as her eyes became blurry. A tear ran down her cheek as the four men continued to move the coffin down the stairs. June looked down and wiped her tear away as Evelyn slightly hit her arm.

June looked up and saw the familiar face she had been searching for. Danny was standing at the top of the stairs. He slowly descended them as June ran towards him. He gripped her waist as her feet left the ground. Danny pressed his lips against June's as he set her down. June smiled up at him, but her mind fell back to the coffin.

"Who is it?" She asked softly.

"Red."

June couldn't help but feel the slightest bit of relief, but her face became solemn. Danny lifted her chin and looked into Junes eyes.

"The last thing he said was, 'I can be with Betty now.'"

A tear fell down Junes cheek and Danny quickly wiped it away. His eyes fell down to her stomach and he softly placed his hands on it. Danny smiled as June placed her hands on top of his.

Danny stepped back and grabbed June's hand. He slowly slipped a gold ban onto her finger. June smiled as she watched his movements.

"You're the best thing I have ever waited for."

June placed her hands on the sides of Danny's face. His eyes filled with tears as he looked down at her and smiled. Danny leaned down and smiled into their kiss.

 Danny leaned down and smiled into their kiss