211 Days Before

Danny stood high on a wooden box next to his new-found buddy Gooz

Danny stood high on a wooden box next to his new-found buddy Gooz. They were watching the two men fight in the make-shift boxing ring. One boxer was a tall, muscular mechanic who worked in the dark engine room. The other was an African American cook on the USS Indianapolis. June was standing beside the railing of the boat waiting for the fight to be over. She was grasping her first aid kit in her arms anticipating one man or the other to get knocked out.

"Alright, Walker. Who you got?" Gooz asked as he kept his eyes on the fight. "Come on, fights almost over."

Danny looked at Gooz without hesitation.

"I'll take the cook."

"What you don't like money?" Gooz asked in amazement.

In the ring, the tall white man punched the cook a few times in the face sending him flying backward. The men around the ring cheered louder as the cook fell to the ground,

"I'll put five on it." Danny held out his hand.

"Done." Gooz said as he took Danny's hand.

The ref hit the bell leaving a high pitched sound echoing throughout the air. June lifted herself from the railing and ran to where the cook would come to the edge of the ring.

"Come here, we gotta talk!" The cook's friend yelled as he motions him over. "He can't hurt us!"

"He can hurt us!" The cook confessed as June handed him a cup of water. "He cut us, we bleedin'"

"Bleedin?" His friend yelled.

He touched the cut on the cook's head.

"That's a scratch!" He reached into his pocket and showed the cook wad of green money. "You see this here? This here is every hard-earned green buck every dishwasher here has earned. Now if we don't win The team's gonna have to find themselves another battleship cause there's no way I'm going back to the Indianapolis empty-handed."

June stepped up as she took the cup back.

"From what I've seen, he doesn't have half the stamina you do." The men looked at her. "So if you stay agile you'll outlast him."

The cook's friend last.

"Listen to the lady!" He yelled as he smacked the cook on the back. "And remember to be a son of a bitch."

The cook smiled at June then turned back to the fight.

"Imma send that smug engine-snip back below deck."

The bell rang again and the men began to cheer. June looked up and spotted Danny. Within the ring the men circle each other. Every once and awhile they would throw a jab but the other would dodge it. Finally, the cook threw a couple of quick uppercuts in and a hard hook. The cheers grew louder. The mechanic fell back against the ropes. The cook threw another hard hook to the mechanics head and the ref hit the bell.