286 Days Before

The sun blazed high in the Sunday morning sky

The sun blazed high in the Sunday morning sky. The girls had been in Pearl Harbor for about three weeks, but the sun still felt different on their skin. The warmth still surprised them when they woke up early in the morning.  Every day was filled with cheer and joy despite the continuous effort to train men for a potential war.

Every Sunday morning the girls would gather their most colorful dresses and pile them onto the bed in Evelyn and June's shared room. Then they would stand over the pile and pick.

"Remember ladies were looking for modest but stylish!" Barbra shouted from her closet.

June sifted through her dresses that hung in her closet. She pulled out a light blue one and laid it on the bed. Evelyn was across the room searching through her closet. She pulled a bright red dress out and held it up.

"This would look beautiful on you, June."

June quickly looked over at the dress. It was red with a light plaid design on it and a deep v-neck that had three buttons above the right hip.

"Too flashy for church, Eve." She stated as she turned back to her closet.

"That's not what I meant." Evelyn's voice traveled across the room. June stopped looking through her dress and looked down as Evelyn smiled. "Don't play coy, June."

"What do you mean!" June objected.

"I haven't forgotten all the time you've spent with Danny since Rafe left."

June's cheeks turned a dark red, almost matching the dress.

"God," June turned away. "You're just like Barbra."

"June!" Evelyn objected. "It's Sunday. Don't take the lord's name in vain!"

June turned around and glared at Evelyn. Evelyn shook the dress in her hands and moved towards June.

"I do not have a thing for Danny Walker!"

Barba, Sandra, and Betty appeared in the door frame with dresses in their arms. Evelyn looked at them.

"She said it." Evelyn said quietly. "She finally said his name!"

The three girls squealed as they surrounded June.

"Seriously?" June deadpanned as the girls jumped around her. "How long had that been a bet?"

Sandra pulled away and looked up at June.

"Since the day Barbra saw you at the hospital with him two months ago."

"Two months!" June yelled as she backed away. "You've been trying to get me to say his name for two months!"

The four girls let out girly laughs and they fell on the bed. June placed her hands on her hips then looked down at her wristwatch.

"Oh my gosh! It's already 10:15!" She shouted. "The service starts at 10:30!"