58 Days Before

June and Danny spent every waking moment together

June and Danny spent every waking moment together. Every day they had off from work they would spend reading books, every night they would visit the beach or spend time at the base with Gooz and Earl. But every moment they weren't together they were preparing for possible war.

Today was the type of day that everyone loved. The sunlight poured through the windows of June's bedroom. She was dressed in one of Danny's white shirts. It fit perfectly over her body stopping about half down her thighs and hanging off her shoulders like a waterfall. Danny was laying on the bed with his hands behind his head and June was searching the book shelf for a certain book. A soft musical tune played from the record player in the corner.

All of the girls were out either at the beach or with their boyfriends. Evelyn's state had improved in the past couple weeks. It seemed like she was finally ready to move on, after all Rafe had been gone for almost four months. June had found comfort in Danny. In fact, it was Rafe who brought them closer together.

Danny came up behind June and grabbed her waist as she continued to look for the piece of literature. He planted a kiss on her neck and continued up from her shoulder, to her jaw, until he finally placed a kiss on her cheek and slowly turned her around. June smiled as she kissed Danny. He grabbed her hand and spun her in a circle then pulled her back into his chest. He swayed with her in his arms for a few seconds.

"If I had known lovin' you would be this blissful I would have kissed ya that night in New York." He whispered softly in her ear.

June pulled away and looked up at Danny. His dark chocolate eyes looked down at her.

"You love me?" She asked quietly.

Danny smiled and leaned in to kiss her again. She planted a quick kiss on his lips then pulled away. She pushed her hand into his chest and pushed him back onto the bed. Then she turned back to the book shelf.

June ran her fingers over the worn books. When the girls had moved into the house they were provided with basic necessities like furniture and kitchen supplies but every upstairs bedroom had a tall bookshelf that was stacked with a multitude of books in various languages. June's finger stopped over the familiar red cover and gold trimming. She pulled the book off the shelf and returned to Danny. Danny grabbed June's waist pulling her down. She planted a sweet kiss on his lips as she landed on top of his chest, then she turned around so her body was nestled between his arm and chest.

"Do you remember the story I told you about the night before Rafe died?" June asked as she looked up at Danny.

"The story of Icarus." He nodded.

"When we first got here Sandra used to read out loud every night and this story stood out to me, but I couldn't figure out why." June flipped the pages in the book.

Danny planted a loving kiss on the top of June's head as she read the pages aloud.

"Icarus's father Daedalus, a very talented and remarkable craftsman, built a labyrinth of imprisonment for King Minos of Crete. When his ambitious son was of age, Daedalus fashioned two pairs of wings out of wax and feathers for Icarus. He warned Icarus not to fly too close to the sun, nor too close to the sea, but to follow a safe path of flight."

June looked up at Danny and smiled. Danny brushed a strand of hair from her fair skin.

"Overcome by the giddiness and love that flying lent him, Icarus soared into the sky. In the process, he came too close to the sun, which, due to the heat, melted the wax. Icarus kept flapping his wings but soon realized that he had no feathers left and that he was only flapping his bare arms, and so Icarus fell into the sea. Tumbling down into the tumultuous waves, furthermore, Icarus died for his one and only true love."

The room grew silent for a second.

"Why'd it stand out to you, June?" Danny asked as he pulled June closer.

"It reminded me of you." Danny knitted his eyebrows. "At the moment, I didn't realize it but as soon as I saw you standing in the crowd at that fight it hit me."

June closed the book and set it on the cotton sheets. She looked up at Danny.

"I know you'd do anything to keep the people and things you love." She collected her thoughts for a second. "I just don't want you to melt."

"That's what you meant that night."

"Danny, Rafe let the giddiness take over. I think that's part of the reason he didn't survive. Just. . .please, don't let it happen to you."

Danny threw his legs over the side of the bed and grabbed June's hand pulling her to her feet. He led her to the window then pulled her closer by her hips. He rested his forehead on hers.

"I love you." He planted a kiss on her forehead.

"I love you too." June whispered quietly as she smiled.

She reached up and kissed Danny. They moved in sync once again. At that moment there was nothing in the world that could possibly ruin the love pulsing through the air. Danny laced his hands with June and pulled away from her kiss.

"I will always be here."

June smiled up at Danny. He reconnected the kiss as June started to walk forwards, pushing Danny towards the bed. Eventually, he fell back on it. June pulled Danny's shirt over her head as he flipped her over and onto the bed.

Everything was exactly the same as it had been the first time and every time after that. June melted into Danny as the world and all its problems seemed to drift away. Nothing could account for the pain and tragedy that was to come, but at least this moment was filled with endless perfection.

 Nothing could account for the pain and tragedy that was to come, but at least this moment was filled with endless perfection