306 Days Before

The golden light seeped through the windows leaving a simple pattern on the floor

The golden light seeped through the windows leaving a simple pattern on the floor. June followed closely behind Rafe and Danny. The train station was quiet. Only a few men wearing short-brimmed hats wandered the station this early in the morning.

June had managed to sneak out of the house in the early hours of the morning without waking Evelyn. Rafe had asked that she didn't come because he didn't have the heart to say goodbye twice.

Rafe had two bags, one in each hand, and Danny had a tan sack thrown over his shoulder. Rafe continuously looked around the station like he was anticipating someone.

"I thought you said you told her not to come." June said as she stepped up between the boys.

"Yeah, I did." He responded quietly.

"Why you lookin' for her then?" Danny asked.

Rafe looked over at women in a long black skirt buying a single rose.

"It's my test." Rafe cleared his throat. "If I tell her not to come and she comes then I know she really loves me."

A tall man in a black suit stepped off of a train and cupped his hands around his mouth.

"All aboard! Track 57!" He called.

Danny and Rafe stopped walking. Danny set down the bag he was carrying. June's eye began to sting as she watched Rafe gather his belongings. June swallowed hard and began to look around the station attempting to hold back her tears. Rafe pulled Danny into a hug and whispered in his ear.

"If, uh, if somethin' happens to me. I want you to be the one to tell them." Rafe said under his breath. Danny pulled away and looked at his friend. "Especially June."

"Just back sure to come back for all of us, alright." Danny stated as he patted his friends shoulder.

Rafe turned to his sister. A single tear fell down her cheek and Rafe wiped it away.

"Write me, at least once a week." He smiled and June nodded. "And when I come back maybe, just maybe, I'll teach ya how to fly."

June smiled as she engulfed her brother in a hug. Rafe grabbed his bags and started to walk to his train. Danny and June stood side by side watching Rafe walk away. For that moment the two managed to push their hidden feelings for each other away. June grabbed Danny's hand, her eyes never leaving Rafe's receding shadow. She laced her fingers with his and let her other hand grab his arm. Danny looked down at her for a second, but June's eyes stayed locked on her brother. When Rafe was out of sight June's eye flooded and she let out a soft stifled sob and looked up at Danny. Danny looked down at her, he put his arm around her and pulled her into his chest.

"Good huntin', Rafe." Danny said as he rested his chin on June's head.

June pulled away from Danny when she heard his soft voice. She looked up at him, but his eyes were glued forward.

Evelyn Johnson was standing on the platform searching for Rafe. She covered her mouth as the train next to her pulled out and she stood alone. The soft light reflected on her tear-stained face. June walked over to Evelyn and Danny followed closely behind her. She engulfed Evelyn in a hug.

"We're officially getting transferred to Pearl Harbor." She spoke into Evelyn's hair. "Now you can live out your dream of livin' in Hawaii, Eve."